RJS callback functions fun

I was struck by the fact that there doesn't seem to be a way to use RJS to install a callback. For example:

page.visual_effect :slideup, @dom_id, :afterFinish => XXXXX

I want the XXXXX to be more RJS code. I don't want to have to revert back to Javascript! But that seems the only solution. What if I have a bunch of DOM manipulation I have do after I have slide the area up? What I want is something like:

page.visual_effect :slideup, @dom_id, :afterFinish => page.function {|p|   p.replace_html 'foo', 'Bar'   p.show 'baz' }

So I took a stab at implementing Javascript functions via RJS. The below implementation allows you to define a anonymous function which is returned as a string. Or you can give the function a name (and possible some argument names) and you get to define a named function (although I haven't really tested this as I really only need anonymous functions for callbacks). I welcome feedback and hope this is useful to someone else.

module ActionView module Helpers module PrototypeHelper class JavaScriptGenerator    module GeneratorMethods      # Will create a function using the block as the defination for the      # function. If the function is given a name then it will be recorded      # to the page under the name given. If a name is not given then      # an anonymous function is instead created as a string and returned.      # nothing is recorded to the page. This allows your function to be      # used as a callback such as in :after_finish on a visual_effect.      def function(name=nil, *arg_names, &blk)

# Run block to collect lines      sub_gen = JavaScriptGenerator.new @context, &blk      body = sub_gen.instance_variable_get("@lines") * ";#{$/}\t"

# For line from block execution      line = "function #{name}(#{arg_names.collect(&:to_s).join ', '   }) {#{$/}\t#{body}#{$/}}"

name ? record(line) : line    end end