restful_authentication and IE

Hi all,

my Rails app is having a weird, but not uncommon, problem authenticating with IE 6 & 7. I've removed web auth and cookie auth from our authenticated_system.rb.

I've been reading in related posts that IE sends back incorrect headers. In my logs I can see my session/create working and my user authenticated (this is in SSL mode). Next I redirect (securely as to avoid any IE secure/insecure warnings) to our dashboard and can see that also in the logs.

However, right below that log entry, I see:

Redirected to https://www.mysite.com/session/new Filter chain halted as [#<ActionController::Filters::ClassMethods::SymbolFilter:0x2aaab0b6e768 @filter=:login_required>] rendered_or_redirected.

I have

before_filter :login_required

at the top of my dashboard controller and can see the filter chain picking that up and redirecting to session/new.

I've tried adjust privacy/cookie levels on IE with no luck. This issue does not happen for FF, Safari, or Camino.

So I have no idea why it this is happening. Since I'm not using any of the web authorization (session only), I cut my access_denied method down to:

fef access_denied     store_location     redirect_to new_session_path end

No magic there. And current_user method has been cut down to:

def current_user   @current_user ||= login_from_session unless @current_user == false end

I'm out of ideas. If anyone has any, it would be *really* appreciated. TIA,

- jason