resources, has_many :through and extra attributes on 'join model'

Hi,

I found a small 'problem' to which I think I found a solution. But the solution feels a bit hacky. I would like some feedback on it.

Say I have Groups & Users. A group has many users, but a user can also belong to many groups. Also, the role a user has in a group should be known.

1. class Group < ActiveRecord::Base    2. has_many :memberships    3. has_many :users, :through => :memberships    4. end    5.    6. class User < ActiveRecord::Base    7. has_many :memberships    8. has_many :groups, :through => :memberships    9. end   10.   11. class Membership < ActiveRecord::Base   12. belongs_to :group   13. belongs_to :user   14. validates_uniqueness_of :user_id, :scope => :group_id   15.   16. # this model has a field "role" which describes the role a user has in the group   17. end

Now, this suffices for the database and the model, but in my routes file I don't want to expose memberships as resources (since they are kind of artificial), so:

1. map.resources :groups do |group|    2. group.resources :users    3. end    4.    5. map.resources :users do |user|    6. user.resources :groups    7. end

This works, I can now see which users are in a group(on /groups/2/ users), but there is no way to see what role they have.

My solution would be to give users a virtual attribute (role) which should get filled in when they are acquired by a group.

something along the lines of

1. class Group < ActiveRecord::Base    2. has_many :memberships    3. has_many :users, :through => :memberships    4.    5. def users_with_roles    6. array =    7. memberships.each do |membership|    8. user = membership.user    9. user.role = membership.role   10. array << user   11. end   12. array   13. end   14. end

Now, I can use @group.users_with_roles in my userscontroller's index action and display the list of users, including their role in this group.

Of course this needs some changes for finding single users also, and code to handle saving in case of adding users to a group.

But before I go that way I need to be assured this is the/a way to go. Like I said, it feels very hacky, so I guess there should be a better way to do this.

Any thoughts on this subject? Like I said, I don't want to expose memberships to the outside world, just users & groups.

Thanks, Mathijs