Resource deletion fails in rails 3 without javascript turned on

Hello, all,     I observed that resource deletion fails in rails 3 without javascript turned on.

Why? I have created a simple rails 3 application and tried deleting a resource entry with javascript turned off.

Absolutely no custom code/changes.

I have put an example on github: git@github.com:anexiole/rails- delete-fails-without-js.git

The only things I did were: 1) create the project 2) rails generate scaffold Guitar name:string 3) rake db:migrate 4) script/rails server 5) Go to localhost:3000/guitars and create a new entry 6) Disable javascript on your browser 7) click on "Destroy" . The "show" action gets called instead

Is any body noticing this with rails 3.0.9 too?

thanks

for some reason, the link for the github code did not come up properly before. Here's another try. git@github.com:anexiole/rails-delete-fails-without- js.git

The ‘destroy’ links use javascript, which is required for them to work. In order for your site to ‘gracefully degrade’ when javascript is turned off, you will have to make changes to the scaffolding.

This link explains the situation (especially the last section):

http://asciicasts.com/episodes/205-unobtrusive-javascript

Vinod

K.M. wrote in post #1024158:

for some reason, the link for the github code did not come up properly before. Here's another try. git@github.com:anexiole/rails-delete-fails-without- js.git

If you take a look at the code that your app generates for the index it looks something like this:

<head>   <title>Guitar</title>   <link href="/stylesheets/scaffold.css?1317282309" media="screen" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />   <script src="/javascripts/prototype.js?1317282218" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/javascripts/effects.js?1317282218" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/javascripts/dragdrop.js?1317282218" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/javascripts/controls.js?1317282218" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/javascripts/rails.js?1317282218" type="text/javascript"></script> <script src="/javascripts/application.js?1317282218" type="text/javascript"></script>   <meta name="csrf-param" content="authenticity_token"/> <meta name="csrf-token" content="WF9XbwuCjb8sI6ZkZSI/9Wx/I3X5LswsFjeN5Qd4gIs="/> </head> <body>

<h1>Listing guitars</h1>

<table>   <tr>     <th>Name</th>     <th></th>     <th></th>     <th></th>   </tr>

<tr>     <td>Ibanez</td>     <td><a href="/guitars/1">Show</a></td>     <td><a href="/guitars/1/edit">Edit</a></td>     <td><a href="/guitars/1" data-confirm="Are you sure?" data-method="delete" rel="nofollow">Destroy</a></td>   </tr> </table>

<br />

<a href="/guitars/new">New Guitar</a>

</body> </html>

As you can see javascript is needed. In the part you see for the delete link using data-method, data-confirm, etc. All that relies on javascript. It goes to show method because it sends a GET request instead of a DELETE request. So it doesn't work because YOU have disabled javascript.

You can use pure HTML to do the same thing by creating your own form anyway and don't rely on what Rails provides you. But I don't know what are you trying to build. I can think of very few web apps that wouldn't use javascript nowadays.

Why are you disabling the javascript to start with?

Thats the way it is. Javascript should be turned on for delete to work.

Regards; 0v3rr!d3

hello there,

Thank you comopasta Gr:)

When I build web apps, accessibility is a factor I consider.

One of the points with accessibility is to have the website still function when a user accesses it from a browser that does not have javascript.

For example: 1) users who do have very old computers and browsers without javascript (hey, they still provide revenue to your site anyway) 2) users who are using screen readers (especially blind users)

This is why I turned javascript off to simulate that environment.

I'm quite dissappointed in the sense that rails 3 is now having such reliance on javascript and there's no proper fallback for cases when browsers/devices do not have javascript.

Ok, if I were to do it without javascript, I would have to set up a form with method="DELETE" and a button for deletion. Would there be a better way?