rescue

I am having problems with rescue actions. Currently using 'development' and it is sending e-mails no problem but it still drives me to the error page...

My specific error at this point is ActionController::InvalidAuthenticityToken and I am using an expired session to generate the errors.

in application.rb I have...

# this part doesn't seem to work   def rescue_action_in_public(exception)     if exception == "ActionController::InvalidAuthenticityToken"       flash[:notice]="Your session expired"       redirect_to :controller => 'login', :action => 'login'     else       flash[:notice]="The Application Server dumped"       request.env["HTTP_REFERER"]       redirect_to :back     end   end

# this part works...I get the e-mails   protected

# Provides code to create an email generated upon error   def log_error(exception)     super(exception)     begin       ErrorMailer.deliver_snapshot(         exception,         clean_backtrace(exception),         session.instance_variable_get("@data"),         params,         request.env)     rescue => e       logger.error(e)     end   end

Craig

I am having problems with rescue actions. Currently using 'development' and it is sending e-mails no problem but it still drives me to the error page...

My specific error at this point is ActionController::InvalidAuthenticityToken and I am using an expired session to generate the errors.

Your if statement is bogus, you're just comparing an exception object with a string. Try using is_a? to see if the exception object is an instance of a given exception class. See also rescue_from

Fred

Fred

> I am having problems with rescue actions. Currently using 'development' > and it is sending e-mails no problem but it still drives me to the error > page... > > My specific error at this point is > ActionController::InvalidAuthenticityToken > and I am using an expired session to generate the errors. >

Your if statement is bogus, you're just comparing an exception object with a string. Try using is_a? to see if the exception object is an instance of a given exception class. See also rescue_from

Fred

Fred > in application.rb I have... > > # this part doesn't seem to work > def rescue_action_in_public(exception) > if exception == "ActionController::InvalidAuthenticityToken" > flash[:notice]="Your session expired" > redirect_to :controller => 'login', :action => 'login' > else > flash[:notice]="The Application Server dumped" > request.env["HTTP_REFERER"] > redirect_to :back > end > end > > # this part works...I get the e-mails > protected
> > # Provides code to create an email generated upon error > def log_error(exception) > super(exception) > begin > ErrorMailer.deliver_snapshot( > exception, > clean_backtrace(exception), > session.instance_variable_get("@data"), > params, > request.env) > rescue => e > logger.error(e) > end > end > > Craig

# this part works...I get the e-mails   protected

# Provides code to create an email generated upon error   def log_error(exception)     super(exception)     begin       ErrorMailer.deliver_snapshot(         exception,         clean_backtrace(exception),         session.instance_variable_get("@data"),         params,         request.env)     rescue => e       logger.error(e)     end   end

> # this part works...I get the e-mails > protected
> > # Provides code to create an email generated upon error > def log_error(exception) > super(exception) > begin > ErrorMailer.deliver_snapshot( > exception, > clean_backtrace(exception), > session.instance_variable_get("@data"), > params, > request.env) > rescue => e > logger.error(e) > end > end ---- as long as I am at this, I don't seem to get the environment or session values either (well, I know if the session is deleted, I wouldn't get any values but when I have an error in a valid session, I would expect to get the session values but I don't. @session and @env seem to generate errors.

I have this code in error_mailer.rb

<% for key, val in @session -%>   <p><b><%= key %></b></p>   <p><%= val.to_yaml.to_a.join("</p>\n<p> ") %></p> <% end -%>

and similar for @env but both return empty sections.

but similar using @params does return values.

---- something changed in Rails 2.3.2 and @params and @env are good but @session seems to be nil - even when there is an active session.

If someone wants to toss me a bone here, I will adjust my code but for now, I just commented out the @session section so I can move on.

Session handling was in large part rewritten for 2.3.2 - assumptions like there being an instance variable called @data almost certainly no longer hold.

Fred

> ---- > something changed in Rails 2.3.2 and @params and @env are good but > @session seems to be nil - even when there is an active session. > > If someone wants to toss me a bone here, I will adjust my code but for > now, I just commented out the @session section so I can move on.

Session handling was in large part rewritten for 2.3.2 - assumptions like there being an instance variable called @data almost certainly no longer hold.

so it appears that session.instance_variable_get("@data")

gets me nothing of value and I wanted the current session hash here,
but I don't know how to get this from the changed Rails.

Yes, this is definitely changed in Rails 2.3 and pretty much every
error notification I have found on the Internet now is broken.

If I were you I'd stick a breakpoint somewhere around there and fiddle
with the session object to see what it's got.

Fred