rescue_from ActionController::RoutingError

Relative newb here.

Is there a relatively simple way to gracefully trap routing errors?

I seem to be in the same boat with a lot of other people ...

In application.rb I have

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

Relative newb here.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I consider returning the 404 page to be "graceful." That's what the HTTP 404 status code, and page, are for anyway. I would just customize the 404 page and be done with it.

Sorry I don't have a more direct answer to your specific question.

Robert Walker wrote:

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

Relative newb here.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I consider returning the 404 page to be "graceful." That's what the HTTP 404 status code, and page, are for anyway. I would just customize the 404 page and be done with it.

Agreed. You should never get routing errors unless a user mistypes a URL -- and that's what the 404 page is for. That's all you need.

Sorry I don't have a more direct answer to your specific question.

That is a direct answer.

BTW: why the "#Shnelvar"? Aren't you using version control?

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

My partner and I have not settle on a version control system to use yet.

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

I recommend Git, since distributed version control is the way to go; Mercurial might be a second choice. But pick one and use it. There is no excuse at all for working without version control even if you're a solo developer; with a partner, that's even more true. (Same for automated tests, BTW.)

Best,

OK ... so how do I get a 404 error instead of a

Routing Error

No route matches "/xxx" with {:method=>:get}

Ralph

Robert Walker wrote:

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

I recommend Git, since distributed version control is the way to go; Mercurial might be a second choice. But pick one and use it. There is no excuse at all for working without version control even if you're a solo developer; with a partner, that's even more true. (Same for automated tests, BTW.)

Best, -- Marnen Laibow-Koser http://www.marnen.org marnen@marnen.org

My partner suggests SVN. Since we have not settled on anything yet ... and it seems to be either Git or SVN.

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

OK ... so how do I get a 404 error instead of a

Routing Error

Stop fighting Rails! AFAIK, Rails already returns HTTP status 404 if it hits a RoutingError. You don't need to do anything else except customize 404.html.

Ralph

Best,

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

My partner suggests SVN. Since we have not settled on anything yet ... and it seems to be either Git or SVN.

Use Git, then. SVN, as a centralized version control system, is far more limited than Git. It's a little easier to learn, but far less capable. Most Rails developers -- including me, as well as the core team -- left SVN for Git some time ago.

Best,

I am not fighting it.

I am getting a

Routing Error

rather than a 404 error during development.

So .. why am I getting that message instead of a 404 here?

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

I am not fighting it.

I am getting a

Routing Error

rather than a 404 error during development.

So .. why am I getting that message instead of a 404 here?

Because Rails handles errors differently in development and production. In development, you see diagnostic info; in production, you see 404.html. (I suspect the HTTP status code is 404 even in development, though; you could check with curl -i.)

And please don't top-post.

Best,

This is posted years after the fact, but just in case anyone arrives via a web search:

The rescue_from method shown above will NOT catch routing errors in Rails 3.1 and Rails 3.2. In particular, this won't work:

# file: app/controllers/application_controller.rb     class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base       protect_from_forgery       rescue_from ActionController::RoutingError, :with => :not_found       ...

You can read all about it (and suggested workarounds) here:     https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/671 and here (point #3):     My five favorite “hidden” features in Rails 3.2 « Plataformatec Blog

HTH.