require doesn't see a file

Hello!

I have installed ruby-iconv port on FreeBSD and try to work with it in irb console: home# script/console Loading development environment (Rails 2.1.0) >> require 'iconv' => >> exit Works perfectly! But my Rails application doesn't see this library: MissingSourceFile (no such file to load -- iconv):     /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20080810/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require'     /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20080810/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'     /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20080810/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.0/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:509:in `require'     /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20080810/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.0/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:354:in `new_constants_in'     /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20080810/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.0/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:509:in `require'     /app/controllers/api_controller.rb:5     /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20080810/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require'     /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.6-20080810/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require' ...

/app/controllers/api_controller.rb on line 5 has the code: require 'iconv'

What is wrong? Can you suggest a solution?

Hello!

I have installed ruby-iconv port on FreeBSD and try to work with it in irb console:

Do you have two parallel installations of ruby (one normal one and the
ruby-enterprise one from Phusion) ? If so you'll need to install ruby-iconv on that too.

Fred

Do you have two parallel installations of ruby (one normal one and the ruby-enterprise one from Phusion) ? If so you'll need to install ruby-iconv on that too.

Yes, I have 2 installations, thanks for the tip. I have searched for a good solution, but no success :frowning: Ruby Enterprise group has a topic about the problem, and no solution in it too.

Just repeat the installation but using the other ruby (obviously that won't work if you installed the first one via your OS's packaging mechanism - you'll need to track down the 'manual' installation instructions.

Fred