Request with Content-Type: "application/json" add extra parameter.

Howdy,

Is there any way I can just turn off this functionality? I think it might be because this is an EventsController, and Rails is trying to give me something for free, but I just want to send over whatever I want, especially as I will have situations like an OrdersController, that I want to pass an order to (such as id asc, etc..).

There are 2 things happening. First, by default if the content type is json then rails assumes that the request body (in your case the empty string) is json, and will parse it and add it to params.

The second is something called wrap_parameters. This wraps the parameters from the body in a hash, so if you posted the document

{"name": "bob"}

To a users controller, instead of polluting the top level parameter namespace it would set params[:user] to the result of parsing that.

There is an initializer that turns on wrap parameters. You could remove it and/or only enable it for some controllers.

By default this only happens if the content type is json.

Lastly why are you setting the content type if you're not submitting the request body (if you're trying to control the format of the response I find that it's easiest not to mess around with headers and requests events.json instead)

Fred

Hi Frederick,

Thanks for the help, disabling wrap_parameters in my initializer fixed my problem. Reason why I am setting the content type for the GET is just because I have jQuery to always ask for JSON. I could probably set it to only send the header on POST/PUT requests, but I would still have the problem were params would get clobbered in my post body anyway.

Really appreciate the help!

Hi Frederick,

Thanks for the help, disabling wrap_parameters in my initializer fixed my problem. Reason why I am setting the content type for the GET is just because I have jQuery to always ask for JSON. I could probably set it to only send the header on POST/PUT requests, but I would still have the problem were params would get clobbered in my post body anyway.

Content-Type specifies what format the request is in (the data you are sending). For GET requests, it’s not particularly meaningful - there isn’t a “request body”, so there’s nothing to specify the format of.

If you want to specify what format you’d like the response in, use the Accept header.

–Matt Jones