Replacing an xxx.png with a xxx.jpg in public/images OK?

Hi ALL,

I'm building a Rails app using the app provided in Ruby On Rails Cookbook. The book's app works "out of the box" after appropriate tweaks: adding a "log" directory, adding a root password in database.yml and a couple of rake executions ... which is more than I can say for many books. (Just wanted to give it a plug.)

In public/images he's got a main_logo.png file which he references in the <body> of application.html.erb in ink_to image_tag('main_logo.png').

I've got a .jpg that I'd use in place of a .png because my JPEG loses detail when I convert to PNG. I expect that JPEGs and GIFs and other major graphic encodings should work just as well in Rails as PNGs. Is that true?

I ask because despite the fact that I'm using a working Rails app as guide, I'm confident I'll make some mistakes I'll have to debug. I'm just trying in advance to avoid one here.

Thanks in advance, Richard

Hi ALL,

I'm building a Rails app using the app provided in Ruby On Rails Cookbook. The book's app works "out of the box" after appropriate tweaks: adding a "log" directory, adding a root password in database.yml and a couple of rake executions ... which is more than I can say for many books. (Just wanted to give it a plug.)

In public/images he's got a main_logo.png file which he references in the <body> of application.html.erb in ink_to image_tag('main_logo.png').

I've got a .jpg that I'd use in place of a .png because my JPEG loses detail when I convert to PNG. I expect that JPEGs and GIFs and other major graphic encodings should work just as well in Rails as PNGs. Is that true?

I ask because despite the fact that I'm using a working Rails app as guide, I'm confident I'll make some mistakes I'll have to debug. I'm just trying in advance to avoid one here.

Hi ALL,

I’m building a Rails app using the app provided in Ruby On Rails

Cookbook. The book’s app works “out of the box” after appropriate

tweaks: adding a “log” directory, adding a root password in

database.yml and a couple of rake executions … which is more than I

can say for many books. (Just wanted to give it a plug.)

In public/images he’s got a main_logo.png file which he references in

the of application.html.erb in

ink_to image_tag(‘main_logo.png’).

I’ve got a .jpg that I’d use in place of a .png because my JPEG loses

detail when I convert to PNG. I expect that JPEGs and GIFs and other

major graphic encodings should work just as well in Rails as PNGs. Is

that true?

PNG, JPEG, and GIF has nothing really to do with Rails. The browser

handles the displaying of images when a page is rendered. Thus, any of

the above mentioned formats should work. However, you need to make

sure that you’re referencing images correctly within your page.

-Conrad

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your advice.

Rails is entirely indifferent to whatever you put into the 'image_tag'

That's what I expected. Asking about it is like taking a Flu shot: it wards off possible ills.

root should never be the user of any sql database ...

I agree, with the exception of my machine that is: - protected from the Net and malware - I am the sole user - and it's only for development purposes

BTW, that's how the author posted the code.

Hi Conrad,

Thanks for your response.

PNG, JPEG, and GIF has nothing really to do with Rails.

Great! I couldn't how enacting my plan could run afoul of Rails. But there's always the possibility that I overlooked something. So I sought advice from more experience Rails people.

you need to make sure that you're referencing images correctly within your page.

I got that covered in this case; I'm paralleling a working app.

Best wishes, Richard