Rendering different views for a given action

Gleb Mazovetskiy wrote:

Hi, everyone, this is my first post here!

I have a "HomeController" that has an "index" method.

I have 4 views for this method: - index.html.erb - index.mobile_lofi.erb - index.mobile_hifi.erb - index.iphone.erb

I also have the following mimetypes defined: Mime::Type.register_alias "text/html", :mobile_lofi Mime::Type.register_alias "text/html", :mobile_hifi Mime::Type.register_alias "text/html", :iphone

Now, the content (instance variables) these views need is almost the same among them.

I have a method "device_type?" that returns one of the [:html, :mobile_lofi, :mobile_hifi, :iphone] based on the User-Agent string.

How do I render the view based on the result of the "device_type?" method? I am using Rails 2.3.3.

Thank you, Gleb

Gleb, I am not sure, but i would think along these line

def index     format = device_type?     respond_to do |format|       format.html       format.mobile_lofi { render blah}       format.iphone { render :action => blah }     end   end

Cheers

Craigslist Clone in Rails http://www.classifiedscript.in

Close, but I think you need to set request.format, and I'd probably do that in a before filter.

class HomeController < ApplicationController       before_filter :set_device_mime_type

def set_device_mime_type          request.format = device_type?      end

def index          respond_to do |format|              #what you said          end     end end

I'd also strongly suggest renaming that device_type? method to something like device_mime_type since the question mark indicates that it should be a predicate method.

It might also be a good idea to refactor this a bit so that you only change the format of the request if it is coming from one of the special devices, and leave it to what the client sent otherwise.

Thanks a lot, Rick!