render functionality

I understand the difference between render and redirect (at least I think I do...) But there still seems to be some confusion in my mind between      render :action => :some_action and      render :action => "some_action"

It would seem the second form (with the action target in quotes) just renders "some_action.rhtml" However, the first form using the colon fomat seems to call the action method -- a direct contradiction of the explanation given in the Pragmatic Programmer's Agile Web Development book (page 428).

If somebody has some explanation of how these two formats differ, I sure would appreciate a response.

Thanks, sjf

sjf,

I understand the difference between render and redirect (at least I think I do...) But there still seems to be some confusion in my mind between      render :action => :some_action and      render :action => "some_action"

These are equivalent, it's just that the first you are using a symbol (:symbol_name) and the second you are using a string, but both lines will do the same thing.

It would seem the second form (with the action target in quotes) just renders "some_action.rhtml" However, the first form using the colon fomat seems to call the action method -- a direct contradiction of the explanation given in the Pragmatic Programmer's Agile Web Development book (page 428).

If somebody has some explanation of how these two formats differ, I sure would appreciate a response.

Thanks, sjf

>

Javier Godinez

Hi,

sjf_control wrote:

there still seems to be some confusion in my mind between     render :action => :some_action and     render :action => "some_action"

It would seem the second form (with the action target in quotes) just renders "some_action.rhtml" However, the first form using the colon fomat seems to call the action method

If you can supply a succinct test case that illustates this behavior, please do. There is not supposed to be a difference, but perhaps you've found a bug.

Best regards, Bill