Remove from many-to-many relationship

I have a has_and_belongs_to_many relationship between Tournament and Team.

How can I remove a team from a tournament without deleting the team itself, e.g something along these lines.:

tou = Tournament.find(:first) tou.remove_team(:id => 1)

Thanks, Dennis

t = Team.new :name => "olympic"

=> #<Team:0x31ea6c4 @new_record=true, @attributes={"name"=>"olympic"}

t.save

=> true

tour = Tournament.new :name => "World Cup"

=> #<Tournament:0x31d28bc @new_record=true, @attributes={"name"=>"World Cup"}

tour.save

=> true

t.tournaments

=> [#<Tournament:0x31ca1d0 @attributes={"team_id"=>"1", "name"=>"World Cup", "id"=>"1", "tournament_id"=>"1"}, readonlytrue]

t.tournaments.size

=> 1

t.tournaments.delete(tour)

=> [#<Tournament:0x31d28bc @new_record_before_save=true, @errors=#<ActiveRecord::Errors:0x31ce9c4 @errors={}, @base=#<Tournament:0x31d28bc ...>, new_recordfalse, attributes{"name"=>"World Cup", "id"=>1}]

This will delete the record in the association table that connects the team to the tournament.

class CreateTeams < ActiveRecord::Migration   def self.up     create_table :teams do |t|       t.column :name, :string     end

create_table :teams_tournaments do |t|       t.column :team_id, :integer       t.column :tournament_id, :integer     end   end

def self.down     drop_table :teams   end end

class Tournament < ActiveRecord::Base   has_and_belongs_to_many :teams end

class Team < ActiveRecord::Base   has_and_belongs_to_many :tournaments end

class CreateTournaments < ActiveRecord::Migration   def self.up     create_table :tournaments do |t|       t.column :name, :string     end   end

def self.down     drop_table :tournaments   end end

I manually created the record in the join table to create the relationship between the team and the tournament before I fired up the script/console session.

So, you have to pass the tournament object not the id when you delete. For more on this check out :