Relations problem

Something's wrong here.

Presentation :belongs_to user means that Presentation has a column called user_id which 'points to' a User. You dont have this.

And belongs_to isn't symmetrical, the other end needs a :has_many, or :has_one relationship.

From what you started out saying there's one presentation for each user, in which case the relations would be:

User    has_one :presentation

Presentation    belongs_to :user

with user_id field in the presentations table.

That said, has_one is almost never used like this, if there really is a fixed one-one relationship between presentations and users then they probably should be combined in one table. If, on the other hand, the situation is that the User can have multiple presentations then you might want something like:

User   has_many :presentations   has_one :current_presentation, :order => "updated_at DESC"

where the current_presentation uses the magic updated_at field to get the most recently modified presentation.

From what you started out saying there's one presentation for each user, in which case the relations would be:

User    has_one :presentation

Presentation    belongs_to :user

with user_id field in the presentations table.

Allright, well this at least did make the relations clearer, thanks Rick.

Still I'm not very clear about how to create a new presentation with a default value as a new user gets created (especially since the datatype TEXT dosen't allow default values)?

Another thing I've tried is to created a new Presentation object to the current_user with:

@presentation = current_user.Presentation.new   @presentation.save!

by placing it in the UserController in the class definition "create" (which already exists)but this only generates half of what I want to accomplish: new rows, but sadly enough only NULL in the columns.

@presentation = current_user.presentation @presentation = current_user.presentation.create unless @presentation

Now, all it does is it returns nil (I hate nil, btw because it's allways so "unexpected").

The error msg beeing (http://localhost:3000/users): "You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! You might have expected an instance of ActiveRecord::Base. The error occurred while evaluating nil.create"

ActiveRecord::Base expected an instance...?

2008/1/22, Dag Stensson :

@presentation = current_user.presentation @presentation = current_user.presentation.create unless @presentation

Now, all it does is it returns nil (I hate nil, btw because it's allways so "unexpected").

@presentation = current_user.create_presentation(...)

-- Jean-François.

Jean-François Trân wrote:

2008/1/22, Dag Stensson :

@presentation = current_user.create_presentation(...)

-- Jean-Fran�ois.

Thank you, Fran?ois! saved my day