refactoring support

Hi,

I’m pretty new to RoR but I like it very much. My problem I haven’t find any refactoring support (for example renaming a controller, or extracting one).

Are there any plugins/tools for such a job? Or are there any work on that issue. IMO for agile development ease in change would be pretty nice.

Seyit Caglar Abbasoglu wrote:

I'm pretty new to RoR but I like it very much. My problem I haven't find any refactoring support (for example renaming a controller, or extracting one).

Are there any plugins/tools for such a job? Or are there any work on that issue. IMO for agile development ease in change would be pretty nice.

That would be editor-specific. Refactoring support for Ruby sucks, but it doesn't have to:

I typically...

- Baseline everything by integrating it   - svn mv a file by name   - svn mv the test file   - immediately open an editor and global search-n-replace the name   - run all the tests & integrate

The search-and-replace should hit the matching test case, by name.

I use 'svn mv' first because I'm too paranoid to do the search-n-replace first. There might be a technical reason...

Thx Philip,

That’s pretty similar to what I do. But again might there be (or is it possible to build) some scripts to do certain refactoring tasks specific to Rails.

For example "script/refactor rename_controller product_controller, admin

or “script/refactor extract_controller product_controller, admin, login:action, new:action” etc…

I’m too new to Rails (even Ruby) to create such things. And I can’t even imagine if it’s possible