redirect from routes with possibility to set cookies

Hi,

I have the current use case in which I save the current website page in a cookie. Nothing that other platforms don’t do (correct me if I’m wrong, but Facebook and Twitter do this currently). Now, I have two ways to accomplish that: the JS way and the no-JS way.

JS: I update the cookie on the client side and redirect myself to the location url.

no-JS: I trigger a POST request to a known URL with the language code, update the cookie on the server side and then redirect the user to the referrer url.

The no-JS is a bit under-performant for two reasons: First one is, I have to go through all the app stack in order to reach the action where I will update the cookie and generate my redirection response. The other one is, every language change equals two requests: one for setting the cookie and another one for redirection. Second problem is a bit hard to solve and doesn’t belong to the rails scope, but the first one does.

My first try involved redirecting directly from the route, which is possible since Rails 3. It was all going dandy, until I saw I have no access to the response, and therefore to its cookies. The redirection I’m allowed to create doesn’t give me access to its headers either. So, my dream solution of setting the response cookies directly in the route never came to be.

This is something I would like to see as a Rails feature. I don’t know what would be the arguments against it, that’s why I would like to open this thread to debate on the topic.