Read cookies in application_helper.rb?

Hi there,

I am trying to write a simple function that checks if a user is logged in based on a cookie value.

def isLoggedIn()

if cookies[:userid] != ""       isLoggedIn = true     else       isLoggedIn = false     end

end

however, when I call this function from my application-wide view, I get the following error:

undefined local variable or method `cookies' for #<#<Class:0xb6e0e920>:0xb6e0e86c>

Can anyone help me understand how I can access my cookies from anywhere other than an action in a controller?

Thanks,

Bryan

But how long is a session active for in Rails? Is ASP it's good for 20 minutes.

I don't want the user to have to log in every time they come to the site. So I wouldn't think a session variable is the way to go.

Let's table the discussion of cookie vs session. Where am I allowed to read cookies and why?

Bry

comicgeekspeak@gmail.com wrote:

I am trying to write a simple function that checks if a user is logged in based on a cookie value.

def isLoggedIn()

if cookies[:userid] != ""       isLoggedIn = true     else       isLoggedIn = false     end

end

however, when I call this function from my application-wide view, I get the following error:

undefined local variable or method `cookies' for #<#<Class:0xb6e0e920>:0xb6e0e86c>

Can anyone help me understand how I can access my cookies from anywhere other than an action in a controller?

Add to your ApplicationController class (in application.rb)

helper_method :cookies

Awesome! This worked like a charm. Thank you.

Now, I have another problem. My function is always returning true. Even if I change it and force it return something else. For example:

def isLoggedIn()

isLoggedIn = "bob"

end

so when I do this:

<%= isLoggedIn %>

I am seeing: true

How do I get my function to actually return "bob"

Bry

Why not just do something like this

def isLoggedIn()

cookies[:userid] ? true : false

end

I don't understand that syntax at all? Question mark? colon?

Also, when I try to call a function in my view <% if isLoggedIn() == true %> I receive an "undefined method" error.

Bry

To make it easier for your to read try this

def isLoggedIn()

return true unless cookies[:userid].nil?     return false

end

that should return true only if the cookie[:userid] value is set.

then in your view just do <% if isLoggedIn() %>

you dont need <% if isLoggedIn() == true %> since isLoggedIn() is by nature either true or false.

btw

the tertiary operator ( ? : ) is just a more succinct way of doing an if .. then .. else statement

It's called a ternary operator. The expression before the ? is evaluated, and if true whatever is between the ? and : is returned. If the expression before ? is false, then whatever is after the : is returned.

Chris

my mistake, you are right. its the "ternary" not the "tertiary" operator. don't know what i was thinking of. haha