RE: [Rails] Re: [ANN] CRMonRails.com - Open Source CRM built on ROR...

From: Michael Modica <rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> Reply-To: rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com To: rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com Subject: [Rails] Re: [ANN] CRMonRails.com - Open Source CRM built on ROR... Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 03:37:38 +0200

Stuart Fellowes wrote: > Michael, > One to mention one thing - > you have a button for "Dispatch Forms" and "Order Forms". It's not > that they are not working, but if you hit both they overlap each > other. I know that it wouldn't make sense to press both but you know > users. > > Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the feedback. That was a quick hack - as I originally had buttons on that form and I had to quickly add some fax capability. When I added those options, the UI looked horrible so I separated them into div's like you see. I was actually a little embarrassed to release it looking the way it looks on those divs but I was tired of delaying this. You are right! They overlap. Another inconsistency is if you click on the order options it closes the div on submit. Whereas if you click on the Dispatch Forms options, it keeps the div in the way.

On another note, you will see that if you try to fax, you get the nice "Progress" feature because it uses AJAX (on the demo it is just a sleep within the controller, but in real life we actually do fax those documents). I asked a question on this forum about a month ago that went unanswered - but the reason you don't see that same thing when you aren't faxing (i.e. Create XXX) is because those actions send the PDF back to the browser for the user to open. I couldn't figure out how to get the browser to open that file (using send_file or send_data) when done in an AJAX call.

If anyone has any input on that then it would be great.

Interestingly, only one person has created a record so far! Based on the data they put in, I'm sure they are trying to find a key constraint that doesn't exist. The primary reason is because we often get lead requests from the same person (bidding on ebay auctions and lose for example) and need to allow them to request multiple quotes. I will eventually put in an "Accounts" feature so we can track their orders more efficiently, but for our business model, it is "okay" the way it is.

Regards,

Michael

-- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

I would love to work on this project....is the source code in subversion somewhere?

Jim

I would love to work on this project…is the source code in subversion somewhere?

Jim

Jim - go to the forum (http://forum.crmonrails.railsplayground.net/forum/) and register as a user in the Contributors forum and I’ll email you privately.

Quick Answer to your question: Not yet - at least not publicly. I need a few key features implemented before we open source it. They can be found in the “Feature Requests” section. Once we get those in place then this will be open sourced. We are looking for contributors to help with those areas.

The reason for this is simple: Once those key areas are integrated then we have something that can truly be generic. I don’t want to open source prematurely and end up with a bunch of forks.

If I’m wrong in my logic then I’m open to critique.

Michael

Quick Answer to your question: Not yet - at least not publicly. I need a few key features implemented before we open source it.

Michael, what license are you planning to use?

Thanks

Rafael