rake tasks

I'm not really creating a rails app, but may integrate this with rails down the road.

I've adapted rss2mysql.rb from:

Practical Ruby Gems http://www.apress.com/book/view/9781590598115

Chapter 10, parsing feeds

but am tweaking everything. Currently I have a rakefile, but am a bit unclear about what sort of tasks go in there. For instance, grabbing rss data from the interwebs could be a task, so maybe it should go in the rake file?

Also, the rake file should have provisions to add/drop tables?

I started to put some of the db interactions into the rakefile, and then thought that maybe everything in this file (script?) belongs in a rakefile. Where do you draw the line?

thufir@ARRAKIS:~/rb$ thufir@ARRAKIS:~/rb$ cat rss2mysql.rb require 'rubygems' require 'active_record' require 'feed_tools' require 'yaml'

db = YAML.load_file("database.yml") ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection(   :adapter => db["adapter"],   :host => db["host"],   :username => db["username"],   :password => db["password"],   :database => db["database"]) class Item < ActiveRecord::Base end

unless Item.table_exists?   ActiveRecord::Schema.define do     create_table :items do |t|         t.column :title, :string         t.column :content, :string         t.column :source, :string         t.column :url, :string         t.column :timestamp, :timestamp         t.column :keyword_id, :integer         t.column :guid, :string         t.column :html, :string       end   end end

puts "connected"

#feed = FeedTools::Feed.open('Slashdot’) feed = FeedTools::Feed.open('www.amazon.com/rss/tag/blu-ray/new')

feed.items.each do |feed_item|   if not (Item.find_by_title(feed_item.title) \     or Item.find_by_url(feed_item.link) \     or Item.find_by_guid(feed_item.guid))   puts "processing item '#{feed_item.title}' - new"

Items.new do |newitem|        newitem.title=feed_item.title.gsub(/<[^>]*>/, '')        newitem.guid=feed_item.guid        if feed_item.publisher.name            newitem.source=feed_item.publisher.name        end        newitem.url=feed_item.link        newitem.content=feed_item.description        newitem.timestamp=feed_item.published        newitem.save     end   else     puts "processing item '#{feed_item.title}' - old"   end end

thufir@ARRAKIS:~/rb$

Also, what sort of IDE is popular for ruby? Eclipse?

thanks,

Thufir

Rake, like it's namesake Make, is useful for organizing complex tasks that typicallly have other complex tasks as preconditions. It's typically used to organize "build cycle" stages which are passed through on the way to presenting the completed project (document, test, application, installation, ...).

The original (make) program was useful for two reasons. It provided an automated build cycle for complex software builds (make unix, make install unix) that documented the build process (assuming you understood make syntax). The build cycle it produced was able to selectively only reconstruct the pieces that were out of date - this was very important when computers had not yet achieved 1 MIP performance and swap space was implemented by write/read cycles to 1/2 inch tape.

If you have a rubot in your apartment, Rake would be a logical choice for organizing it's chores. I'ld use cron to schedule things like:

rake eggs toast coffee oj breakfast rake whites laundry

emacs and vim are two opensource ide's that get my vote for all things ruby and rails.

I broke that code into three rake tasks:

thufir@ARRAKIS:~/rb$ thufir@ARRAKIS:~/rb$ rake --tasks (in /home/thufir/rb) rake connect # connects to db rake exists # creates table unless it already exists rake populate # gets rss data thufir@ARRAKIS:~/rb$

so that exists and populate depend upon the connect task. Is this reasonably compatible with RoR?

thanks,

Thufir

Right, in this case I'm automating creating, destroying and populating a db. Is that inappropriate somehow?

-Thufir