rake -T is missing rake db:fixtures:dump?

Subject says it all: rake doesn't know about db:fixtures:dump. When I try, I get this:

Don't know how to build task 'db:fixtures:dump'

I thought this was a standard feature that ships with rake- any idea why it's missing, and how I can reinstall it?

Here's the environment:

Ruby version 1.8.4 (powerpc-darwin8.6.0)

RubyGems version 0.8.11

Rails version 1.1.6

Active Record version 1.14.4    Action Pack version 1.12.5

Action Web Service version 1.1.6

Action Mailer version 1.2.5

Active Support version 1.3.1

Application root [snip]    Environment development

Database adapter mysql

Database schema version 28

Thanks!

-Jason

Jason Frankovitz wrote:

Subject says it all: rake doesn't know about db:fixtures:dump. When I try, I get this:

Don't know how to build task 'db:fixtures:dump'

A Google search for db:fixtures:dump found http://svn.t-p-l.com/rails/plugins/db_to_fixtures/README as the first hit. So, I expect you need to install the db_to_fixtures plugin from http://svn.t-p-l.com/rails/plugins/db_to_fixtures/

Jon

I found that same link, thanks. If that's what it takes to get this
working, that's fine; but I still don't know why some 1.1.6 Rails
installations have this and two that I've run across don't. It's
considered a standard feature and is mentioned in the Agile book as
such. Plus the date on the plugin says it was released 8/21/06, and I know
I've used it before then :slight_smile:

I'm very confused. What other "standard" rails features might decide
to just not be there too?

-Jason

Hi Jason,

I found that same link, thanks. If that's what it takes to get this working, that's fine; but I still don't know why some 1.1.6 Rails installations have this and two that I've run across don't. It's considered a standard feature and is mentioned in the Agile book as such. Plus the date on the plugin says it was released 8/21/06, and I know I've used it before then :slight_smile:

I'm very confused. What other "standard" rails features might decide to just not be there too?

I've got both the first and second editions of the AWDWR book as PDF, and neither of them mention db:fixtures:dump. Also I think if it was a standard Rails feature, it would appear in a lot more than 3 results when you Google it.

I'm using the manage_fixtures plugin, which provides db:fixtures:export_all - maybe that's what you previously used?

(from the README:) = INSTALLATION

[%] script/plugin discover    [%] script/plugin install manage_fixtures

(in case you wanted to give it a try).

If you still have access to a system with a version of rails where db:fixtures:dump works, it might be worth grepping through your project directory (particularly vendor/plugins and lib/tasks) to see if you can work out how it's doing it.

Jon