rake aborted! undefined method `each' for #<Mysql:

I'm struggling with several problems getting my first time ruby on rails
environment running. I'm now stuck on this problem too.

rake db:migrate generates the following error. This one is on a vista
machine. Anyone seen this before. Any thoughts or advice?

Reading about Ruby on Rails has really got me excited to give it a try.
But in practice getting to the point that I can actually use RoR has
almost burned me out. I never thought the transition from C# in a VS08
to RoR would be so frustrating - particularly creating the environment.

David Franklin wrote:

I'm struggling with several problems getting my first time ruby on rails
environment running. I'm now stuck on this problem too.

rake db:migrate generates the following error. This one is on a vista
machine. Anyone seen this before. Any thoughts or advice?

Reading about Ruby on Rails has really got me excited to give it a try.
But in practice getting to the point that I can actually use RoR has
almost burned me out. I never thought the transition from C# in a VS08
to RoR would be so frustrating - particularly creating the environment.

**********************************

C:\Users\David\Documents\Rails\mydemo>rake db:migrate --trace
(in C:/Users/David/Documents/Rails/mydemo)
** Invoke db:migrate (first_time)
** Invoke environment (first_time)
** Execute environment
** Execute db:migrate
rake aborted!
undefined method `each' for #<Mysql:0x5cdda84>
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:414:in
`tables'

What version of MySQL is this? I have had similar problems with MySQL 5.1 and the mysql gem with ActiveRecord. Switching back to MySQL version 5.0.67 and re-installing the MySQL gem seemed a lot better.

I mainly use postgresql anyway which has no such problem nuder Windows or Linux.

Cheers,
Gary.

Gary Doades wrote:

David Franklin wrote:

to RoR would be so frustrating - particularly creating the environment.
rake aborted!
undefined method `each' for #<Mysql:0x5cdda84>
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:414:in
`tables'

What version of MySQL is this? I have had similar problems with MySQL
5.1 and the mysql gem with ActiveRecord. Switching back to MySQL version
5.0.67 and re-installing the MySQL gem seemed a lot better.

I mainly use postgresql anyway which has no such problem nuder Windows
or Linux.

Cheers,
Gary.

It's MySQL 5.1. I'll try backing out to MySQL 5.0 and reinstall the
gem. Thanks for the help. I was naive about how challenging setting up
the environment would be.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

David Franklin wrote:

Gary Doades wrote:
David Franklin wrote:
to RoR would be so frustrating - particularly creating the environment.
rake aborted!
undefined method `each' for #<Mysql:0x5cdda84>
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:414:in
`tables'

What version of MySQL is this? I have had similar problems with MySQL
5.1 and the mysql gem with ActiveRecord. Switching back to MySQL version
5.0.67 and re-installing the MySQL gem seemed a lot better.
I mainly use postgresql anyway which has no such problem nuder Windows
or Linux.
Cheers,
Gary.

It's MySQL 5.1. I'll try backing out to MySQL 5.0 and reinstall the gem. Thanks for the help. I was naive about how challenging setting up the environment would be.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again.

If you continue to have problems with a migration it would probably help if you posted the migration file contents.

Gary,
Good suggestion. I had the same problem with mysql 5.1, but the
problem disappeared going back to 5.0.

I am using Windows XP, the latest Rails (2.2, or is it 2.1?), and Ruby
1.8.6.

One thing that I also do is to put the libmysql.dll file in c:\ruby
\bin. It is a bit of voodo that I read about in a post that I cannot
find anymore.

Is there a version of the ruby mysql gem out there that will work with
Mysql5.1 on windows? I would love to hear from the group, because I am
eager to try out the horizontal partitioning capabilities of MySql
5.1.

Kaushik

katari@gmail.com wrote:

Gary,
Good suggestion. I had the same problem with mysql 5.1, but the
problem disappeared going back to 5.0.

Although i was using 5.0 , that didnt disappeared in my environment...
then i relaized that i was using 5.0.24 but mysql ruby gem (2.7.3) is
supporting 5.0.27...
I just upgraded to that version of mysql server and problem solved...

I am using Windows XP, the latest Rails (2.2, or is it 2.1?), and Ruby
1.8.6.

mine is vista.... rails : 2.2 , ruby:1,8,6

One thing that I also do is to put the libmysql.dll file in c:\ruby
\bin. It is a bit of voodo that I read about in a post that I cannot
find anymore.

I did the same...

Is there a version of the ruby mysql gem out there that will work with
Mysql5.1 on windows? I would love to hear from the group, because I am
eager to try out the horizontal partitioning capabilities of MySql
5.1.

you can check it here... I couldnt find anything regarding to Mysql 5.1

mesut
www.zerobuffer.com

Mesut Çelik wrote:

you can check it here... I couldnt find anything regarding to Mysql 5.1

missing url : http://tmtm.org/mysql/ruby/README.html

Gary Doades wrote:

What version of MySQL is this? I have had similar problems with MySQL
5.1 and the mysql gem with ActiveRecord. Switching back to MySQL version
5.0.67 and re-installing the MySQL gem seemed a lot better.

Rolling back to 5.0.67 also worked for me. Thanks!

If you get "rake aborted! undefined method `each' for..." on Windows
(win32), it is almost certainly a mismatch between the version of MySQL
and the version of the gem. Looking at the readme inside the .gem, it
says that the gem was compiled against MySQL 5.0.27. V2.7.3 of the
pre-compiled gem will NOT work with MySQL 5.1.

If you're going to use the pre-compiled V2.7.3 Windows gem, you'll have
to use MySQL 5.0.27.

You can use MySQL 5.1 if you don't install mysql gem v2.7.3. It is
strange because, if you don't install this version, some warnings appear
related to it, saying that the bundled-in mysql gem is going to be
deprecated and you are encouraged to install the latest gem (apparently,
the 2.7.3 one...)

Kevin Kleinfelter wrote: