Rails3 Plugin Guide init.rb confusion

This has two things that doesn't make sense to me.

1) it advocates a Rails folder with it's own init.rb in it. AFAICT that's an old idiom that no longer applies to Rails 3, but I can't seem to find a definitive confirmation on that.

2) it advocates that /PLUGIN/init.rb should include /PLUGIN/lib/yaffle.rb as the one and only require statement and that yaffle.rb should be the file where all the needed require statements be written to "keep init.rb clean."

I don't understand the merit of that. How many require statements is not clean? 20, 20, 5? If I have 2 requires, I should have a whole separate file just to isolate the requires? Is there some other purpose, because that just makes no sense.

Looking for insight. Thx.

-- gw

Greg,

I spent a lot of time today building a Rails 3 plugin, and The Basics of Creating Rails Plugins — Ruby on Rails Guides is outdated. I will be looking into updating the page for Rails 3.

Below is the recommended setup, where init.rb requires only lib/ plugin.rb. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe it is done this way to conform to the Rails Engine.

/PLUGIN/init.rb /PLUGIN/lib/plugin.rb

Andrew Ferk wrote:

I spent a lot of time today building a Rails 3 plugin, and The Basics of Creating Rails Plugins — Ruby on Rails Guides is outdated. I will be looking into updating the page for Rails 3.

Below is the recommended setup, where init.rb requires only lib/ plugin.rb. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe it is done this way to conform to the Rails Engine.

Thanks. Could init.rb include anything other than the require? Perhaps the definition of some constants? Or would you do everything in /lib/plugin.rb?

Also, how would you deal with a case where the name of the plugin might be SpiffyUser, and you have /plugins/spiffy_user/lib/spiffy_user.rb where I would want a class file named spiffy_user.rb -- seems now like we want to use spiffy_user.rb for two things. Plugin init and a primary class file for the plugin.

I guess I just have to come up with another name for one of them, but it's not really ideal to have to do that I think. Or, let's just say under the old system I didn't have to when we could have the actual init stuff in init.rb

Sure seems like there should be /PLUGIN/lib/init.rb

-- gw

Dear Andrew or anybody else who can help,

I have been executing the The Basics of Creating Rails Plugins — Ruby on Rails Guides verbatim and everything works as expected up to section 5. On implementing section 6, I get the following error which I cannot eliminate. Any help would be appreciated.

Summary of error: - require 'action_controller/test_process' appears to be causing the problem but I can't figure out a solution / work-a-round to overcome

Environment: Windows 7 with Ruby 1.8.7 p249, Rails 3.0.1

BTW, http://localhost:3000/woodpeckers/index WORKS

Application: name=t1 - plugin_name=djcc - directory=RAILS_ROOT/vendor/plugins/djcc - command=rake

Regards

Balbir Andrew Ferk wrote in post #942025:

Greg,

-- Andrew Ferk

Attachments: http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/5331/plugin_djcc.txt