Rails3 Engines (mountable apps)...

Hello,

I've a question about Rails 3 Engines. I'm looking everywhere for good documentation on this subject, but didn't find it.

I'm trying to create a mountable app (embedding a Rails application in another Rails application). Both the 'base' application and the 'embedded' application are created with rails3.0.0.rc. To behave as Engine the 'embedded' application has the following code in 'lib/my_engine.rb':

# lib/my_engine.rb require "my_engine" require "rails"

module MyEngine   class Engine < Rails::Engine   end end

In the Gemfile of the 'base' application I've included MyEngine as a gem, using the path directive (to be able to change code without rebuilding the gem).

# Gemfile gem "my_engine", :path => "../my_engine"

When I try to start the 'base' application it raises a NameError:

uninitialized constant MyEngine::Application (NameError)

Does anybody have good (Rails3 RC based) documentation on how to create a mountable app?

And what would be the 'Rails-way' of solving this problem?

Kind regards,

Harm-Jan

H.J. Blok wrote:

Hello,

I've a question about Rails 3 Engines. I'm looking everywhere for good documentation on this subject, but didn't find it.

I'm trying to create a mountable app (embedding a Rails application in another Rails application). Both the 'base' application and the 'embedded' application are created with rails3.0.0.rc. To behave as Engine the 'embedded' application has the following code in 'lib/my_engine.rb':

# lib/my_engine.rb require "my_engine" require "rails"

module MyEngine   class Engine < Rails::Engine   end end

In the Gemfile of the 'base' application I've included MyEngine as a gem, using the path directive (to be able to change code without rebuilding the gem).

# Gemfile gem "my_engine", :path => "../my_engine"

When I try to start the 'base' application it raises a NameError:

uninitialized constant MyEngine::Application (NameError)

Does anybody have good (Rails3 RC based) documentation on how to create a mountable app?

And what would be the 'Rails-way' of solving this problem?

Kind regards,

Harm-Jan

From the code you posted, I don't see a problem.

I would suggest following the structure of each framework and how they use Railties.

# lib/my_engine.rb require 'active_support'

module MyEngine   extend ActiveSupport::Autoload

autoload :MyClass   autoload :Whatever end

# lib/my_engine/engine.rb require 'my_engine'

module MyEngine   class Engine < Rails::Engine

end end

And now you have 3 different ways to initialize the engine. If you leave your gem named 'my_engine', you need to put `require 'my_engine/engine'` in lib/my_engine.rb. If you rename your gem to 'myengine', you can require the engine inside of the base app with `require 'my_engine/engine'` inside the bootup or add another file called lib/myengine.rb that only has `require 'my_engine/engine'` in it.

Samuel Kadolph wrote:

I would suggest following the structure of each framework and how they use Railties.

# lib/my_engine.rb require 'active_support'

module MyEngine   extend ActiveSupport::Autoload

autoload :MyClass   autoload :Whatever end

# lib/my_engine/engine.rb require 'my_engine'

module MyEngine   class Engine < Rails::Engine

end end

And now you have 3 different ways to initialize the engine. If you leave your gem named 'my_engine', you need to put `require 'my_engine/engine'` in lib/my_engine.rb. If you rename your gem to 'myengine', you can require the engine inside of the base app with `require 'my_engine/engine'` inside the bootup or add another file called lib/myengine.rb that only has `require 'my_engine/engine'` in it.

Thanks for your help, I've tried to implement what you've written, but somehow it still raises 'uninitialized constant MyEngine::Application (NameError)'.

I can put my complete test code on github if you like. But at this moment I have found a working solution, using the 'app2engine' gem (GitHub - eregon/app2engine: Ease the conversion of a Rails 3 app in an Engine). Benoit Daloze pointed me to that solution on the Ruby Forum (Rails3 Engines (mountable apps) - Ruby - Ruby-Forum) (which I accidentally used for posting this issue).

HJ

H.J. Blok wrote:

Samuel Kadolph wrote:

<snip>

Thanks for your help, I've tried to implement what you've written, but somehow it still raises 'uninitialized constant MyEngine::Application (NameError)'.

Found the problem, the initializers present in 'config/initializers' caused the 'uninitialized constant' error. My solution for this is to use 'Rails.application.config...' instead of 'MyEngine::Application.config...' in the 'config/initializers' file(s).

Now deploying it as gem and using it as standalone application both are possible.

HJ

try update to rc2, then bundle update, and worked for me without require. (just in gem file defined the engine.)