Rails3 beta4 + Ruby 1.9

When I try rails console using Rails3 beta4 and Ruby 1.9.1-p378 I cannot save a record:

rails console

Loading development environment (Rails 3.0.0.beta4) ruby-1.9.1-p378 > g = Game.new => #<Game id: nil, player_id: nil, versus_id: nil, finished: nil, created_at: nil, updated_at: nil> ruby-1.9.1-p378 > g.save NameError: undefined method `<=>' for class `ActiveSupport::Multibyte::Chars'

I found on someone's blog that exact error message and it said to use 1.9.2-head, know issue, etc. So with 1.9.2-head I can't even start rails console:

rails console

/Users/destiney/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-head/gems/railties-3.0.0.beta4/lib/rails/engine.rb:122:in `delegate': wrong argument type Symbol (expected Proc) (TypeError)

Ruby 1.8.7 works fine as far as I can tell.

Have the exact same problem - doesn't matter 1.8.7, 1.9.1 or 1.9.2. Interestingly, in the console, invoke g.save a second time and it works. All subsequent AR calls seem fine after that. I ran into the problem when attempting to seed (create). You at RailsConf by the way? (I am @wischr).

I ran into the same problem but with 1.8.7, 1.9.1, 1.9.2. If you run your save again, it will work the second time. I am trying to go down the suggestions I just read of temporarily using ruby-mysql gem instead.

Mine does work on 1.8.7.

I am at RailsConf. Good times :slight_smile: I'm @gdonald.

I just tried 1.8.7 - still fails for me (consistently). I am headed over to the AR presentation, so I might ask if it's a known issue in the Q&A.

I got the same error in my model, because of validations: if "validates_presence_of :login, :full_name, :email, :password" is before "validates_uniqueness_of :login, :email", then error is raised if "validates_presence_of :login, :full_name, :email, :password" is after "validates_uniqueness_of :login, :email", then error is not raised

i didnt check why this is like that, but maybe this will help solve something. And in this way you can save models at least and continue work.

I use mysql-5.1, ruby => ruby 1.9.1p378 (2010-01-10 revision 26273) [i386-mingw32], gem => ruby-mysql-2.9.3 on windows 7

Found that this error happens if validation validates_presence_of is not the last that is executed, if it is last, than no errors are happening.

I'm not even to the point of adding any validations, can't even fire up rails console with empty models yet.

According to rails.info, Ruby 1.9.1 is not usable wit Rails 3.

According to rails.info, Ruby 1.9.1 is not usable wit Rails 3.

Yup.. notice the part where I then tried 1.9.2-head?

I found on someone's blog that exact error message and it said to use 1.9.2-head, know issue, etc. So with 1.9.2-head I can't even start rails console:

> rails console

/Users/destiney/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-head/gems/railties-3.0.0.beta4/lib/rai ls/engine.rb:122:in `delegate':wrongargumenttypeSymbol(expectedProc) (TypeError)

Using rvm, I have since tried every available version of 1.9.2, none work.