Rails Time.now and system locale

hi everyone, I have a problem with dates output.

Actually if in Rails’ ./script/console I send a “Time.now” I get a localized date, something like: " lun mar 05 19:33:00 CET 2007" Actually my server has environment variables set for Italy, here’s the output of the locale command: LANG=it_IT@euro LC_CTYPE=“it_IT@euro” LC_NUMERIC=" it_IT@euro" LC_TIME=“it_IT@euro” LC_COLLATE=“it_IT@euro” LC_MONETARY=“it_IT@euro” LC_MESSAGES=“it_IT@euro” LC_PAPER=“it_IT@euro” LC_NAME="it_IT@euro " LC_ADDRESS=“it_IT@euro” LC_TELEPHONE=“it_IT@euro” LC_MEASUREMENT=“it_IT@euro” LC_IDENTIFICATION=“it_IT@euro” LC_ALL=

The strange thing is that the standard Ruby IRB doesn’t consider the environment locale, and sending " Time.now" i get the following output: irb(main):001:0> Time.now => Mon Mar 05 19:37:04 CET 2007

So I can desume that Rails, instead, make use of the system locale automagically…

I defeinitely disagree with this behaviour, is there a way I can handle it to give me international output by default?

Ashkey wrote:

Actually if in Rails' ./script/console I send a "Time.now" I get a localized date, something like: "lun mar 05 19:33:00 CET 2007"

The strange thing is that the standard Ruby IRB doesn't consider the environment locale, and sending "Time.now" i get the following output: irb(main):001:0> Time.now => Mon Mar 05 19:37:04 CET 2007

It looks like you've answered your own question. In Rails you've overridden default behavior with localization settings. Thus, when you run console, you're inheriting the localization. IRB does not load your Rails configuration. My guess is that your server settings are set for a different locale - which is what IRB is inheriting.