Rails site on CD

Hi All

I've been asked to provide a copy of a site I've just put together on a CD so that it can be tailed in with a Powerpoint presentation (I presume links from the presentation to a local copy of the site).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how one could go about this? The only thought I had was to find a way to automate a visit to every page and then store a copy of the page as a static html file.

All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks

Robin

Robin Fisher wrote:

Does anyone have any thoughts on how one could go about this? The only thought I had was to find a way to automate a visit to every page and then store a copy of the page as a static html file.

When you use caches_page in your controllers it'll create a directory structure in your public directory that includes static versions of the pages you set to use. After you do that, you can just take the public directory and browse through that omitting the rest of the app. That would probably be the best way to go about it.

Great stuff! Thanks Jack!

Robin Fisher wrote:

Hi All

I've been asked to provide a copy of a site I've just put together on a CD

[...]

There have been a number of discussions on this list about packaging a Rails application for local execution. Joyent's Slingshot seems to be what I hear come up most often, and it also might be feasible to package it as a java app with JRuby. These solutions should help if static pages are not what you need.

Best,