rails scaffolding issue

Greetings friends,

i`m experiencing an issue with scaffolding, which i`m unable to resolve for the moment.

system used: win7 x64: ruby -v 1.9.1, gem -v 1.3.7, rails -v 2.3.8. mysql 5.1.50, but downgraded to 5.0.37 win xp x86: ruby -v 1.9.2, gem -v 1.3.7, rails - 3. mysql 5.1.50, but downgraded to 5.0.37 slackware 13.1: ruby -v 1.9.2, gem -v 1.3.7, rails - 3. mysql 5.1.34

i have full mysql access, it is working, the issue persist in sqlite3 aswell

When i try to scaffold from the existing table, im not getting the error while scaffolding, but after that the migration file is empty:

class CreatePosts < ActiveRecord::Migration   def self.up     create_table :posts do |t|

t.timestamps     end   end

def self.down     drop_table :posts   end end

When i fill it by hand,

class CreatePosts < ActiveRecord::Migration   def self.up     create_table :posts do |t|   t.column :title, :string, :limit => 100, :null => false   t.column :body, :text, :nill => false   t.column :author, :string, :limit => 100, :null => false         t.column :status, :string, :limit => 20, :null => false         t.column :created_at, :datetime         t.column :updated_at, :datetime     end   end

def self.down     drop_table :posts   end end

and i try to test my app in the browser, i dont get the scaffolded fields, just one single button, when i click it, its renders the "new form" and there is only the create button alone, but when i click it, im getting the next error:

ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid in PostsController#create

SQLite3::ConstraintException: posts.title may not be NULL: INSERT INTO "posts" ("title", "body", "author", "status", "created_at", "updated_at") VALUES(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, '2010-09-07 08:53:20', '2010-09-07 08:53:20')

RAILS_ROOT: D:/sites/new

this is because sent information is empty, but there are no fields in the application. the problem is existing only if i use existing table in mysql, or trying to create migrations by hand. when i do: ruby script/generate scaffold Post blahblah:sting blahblah:text................................., it is working fine with sqlite3.

Any help will be helpful

Thanks in Advance

edit: db/model names are plural/singular

That's how scaffolding is (i think the change happened back in rails 2). If you want the old dynamic scaffolding stuff you could look at something like active scaffold, or the old code was extracted into a plugin (don't know if it's still maintained): http://github.com/rails/scaffolding

Fred

If i understand it right, in new scaffold need to be specified each column from the existing db?

In my case: ruby script/generate scaffold Post title:string body:text author:string status:string created_at:datetime updated_at:datetime

And it will migrate the outside rails made db and will be working as is needed to be? Tested it and its working this way. Asking because dont want to learn it in wrong way. Used some outdated information.... :frowning:

Thanks

whan you scafolded you didnt spefified the field of the database , the scafold creates empty views in that case , i think you didnt pass the fields because the scaffold fills the migration with them if you do, since i see the migration is empty that mians you did this

script/generate scaffold post and it should have been

script/generate scaffold post title:string body:text and so on