Rails saving on LDAP (or directly on a mailserver)

Hi everybody,

I'm a newbie in the Rails world but I like it so much ...

One of my friend is rebuildiding a gym+swimminpool and starting from the next summer there will be a lot of people working in the gym ( like Barman , swimming teacher , personal trainer .. )

My idea (i'm helping my frined on the computer and web parts) is to have all this people registering themself on the gym website and have theyr account saved on an LDAP server ( the badge & access system will run on LDAP)

there is some way to use LDAP as rails database ?

thanks

Simone R. wrote:

Hi everybody,

[snip]

My idea (i'm helping my frined on the computer and web parts) is to have all this people registering themself on the gym website and have theyr account saved on an LDAP server ( the badge & access system will run on LDAP)

there is some way to use LDAP as rails database ?

Not that I'm aware of. Rails is sql-oriented and LDAP is a totally different animal.

Having said that, OpenLDAP can use a sql database as the store for the information that it serves up. This requires you to turn your problem around, using mysql/postgresql for your ldap database and then using rails to interact with the mysql/postgresql database that happens to have ldap data in it. It also assumes that you can use OpenLDAP, e.g. you aren't already using ActiveDirectory.

<OpenLDAP Software 2.4 Administrator's Guide: Backends; <ldap - How Do I Configure OpenLDAP to use MySQL (Ubuntu 9.04)? - Server Fault;

Good luck, gvb

Simone R. wrote: > Hi everybody,

[snip]

> My idea (i'm helping my frined on the computer and web parts) is to have > all this people registering themself on the gym website and have theyr > account saved on an LDAP server ( the badge & access system will run on > LDAP) > > there is some way to use LDAP as rails database ?

Not that I'm aware of. Rails is sql-oriented and LDAP is a totally different animal.