Rails requires RubyGems >= 1.3.1 (you have 1.1.1) on OSX

Any ideas for a solution? Is it possible I have more than one installation of ruby on my machine, with mongrel accessing the other one? How do I find out and how do I resolve this?

That is possible. Look at the output of which mongrel_rails which gem which ruby

Fred

has you tried

sudo gem install rubygems-update sudo update_rubygems

alberto wrote:

has you tried

sudo gem install rubygems-update sudo update_rubygems

Yes, I did do that

Also,

which ruby => /usr/local/bin/ruby which gem => /usr/local/bin/gem which mongrel_rails => /usr/bin/mongrel_rails

Any ideas?

alberto wrote: > has you tried

> sudo gem install rubygems-update > sudo update_rubygems

Yes, I did do that

Also,

which ruby => /usr/local/bin/ruby which gem => /usr/local/bin/gem which mongrel_rails => /usr/bin/mongrel_rails

What this means is that your ruby and gem commands were from the ruby installation in /usr/local, which you have kept up to date (hence gem - v returning 1.3.1) but the mongrel_rails command was part of the ruby installation that came with OS X and was using the version of gem that was part of that ruby installation, which happened to be an earlier version. removing /usr/bin/mongrel_rails was actually unecessary - installing mongrel will have created a /usr/local/bin/mongrel_rails which would have taken precedence over the one in /usr/bin.

Fred