Rails lack of documentation (render nested layouts)

I've posted some days ago about the lack of proper documentation for the testing framework used by Rails.

Today, among other days, I noted one more method missing documentation.

I've read the past year about nested layouts in some blog I don't remember.

Today I had to write a new application and needed the nested layouts again.

First, I looked at the documentation, as I use to do. Didn't find. Then I looked at my other project code and found how, although I couldn't find this feature documented.

Into the documentation there are references for: render (ActionView::TemplateHandlers::Compilable) render (ActionView::TemplateHandler)

But none of them had any documentation available (although I'm not sure these are the methods I should be looking for. Maybe it should be "render (ActionController::Base)").

Well, the requirements are quite simple, so is the solution, but finding it on documentations is impossible, unless I'm missing something.

To keep it clear, here is the actual case:

I want to have a master layout (application.erb) and another layout (another.erb) for the AnothersController, based on master layout.

application.erb: <html> ... <%= yield :further_header %> ... </html>

another.erb: <% content_for :further_header do %> Further content here <% end %>

<%= render 'layouts/application' %>

Quite simple, don't you think? So what am I complaining about? This is a very useful hidden feature. It is not documented. Even worse, the render method is not documented. And even if I didn't care about others reaching this feature, I would care if this feature will continue working in the next Rails releases. Once a feature is documented, there is a great chance it will continue to be supported...

I would like to help documenting such missing documentation, but I need some instructions how can I do that: how to make patches, and need to know how do these methods actually work.

Thanks in advance,

Rodrigo.

I've posted some days ago about the lack of proper documentation for the testing framework used by Rails.

First, I looked at the documentation, as I use to do. Didn't find. Then I looked at my other project code and found how, although I couldn't find this feature documented.

Into the documentation there are references for: render (ActionView::TemplateHandlers::Compilable) render (ActionView::TemplateHandler)

But none of them had any documentation available (although I'm not sure these are the methods I should be looking for. Maybe it should be "render (ActionController::Base)").

Which is there as far as I can tell: Peak Obsession

Well, the requirements are quite simple, so is the solution, but finding it on documentations is impossible, unless I'm missing something.

I want to have a master layout (application.erb) and another layout (another.erb) for the AnothersController, based on master layout.

another.erb: <% content_for :further_header do %> Further content here <% end %>

Quite simple, don't you think? So what am I complaining about? This is a very useful hidden feature. It is not documented. Even worse, the render method is not documented. And even if I didn't care about others reaching this feature, I would care if this feature will continue working in the next Rails releases. Once a feature is documented, there is a great chance it will continue to be supported...

Well the key thing is for there to be tests describing the functionality. Tests get automatically checked, docs don't

I would like to help documenting such missing documentation, but I need some instructions how can I do that: how to make patches, and need to know how do these methods actually work.

lifo's docrails project on github is the place to go.

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Which is there as far as I can tell: Peak Obsession

The documentation is there, but if it is the right documentation to look for, it doesn't include description about the behaviour of specifying a string as the "options" param. It only describes action rendering and partial rendering.

Well the key thing is for there to be tests describing the functionality. Tests get automatically checked, docs don't

This assumes everyone knows about test units. There shouldn't be the case. The documentation should also state the supported features... A change patch should group the code change, the documentation change and the test unit change, when they apply...

lifo's docrails project on github is the place to go.

Thanks for pointing that, I'll look forward that.

Rodrigo.

could not disagree more. but that's another issue. :wink:

I agree with you that everybody would be benefited a lot if they know about unit tests. But a framework should not expect this from the end user. It should be up to (s)he to be enlighten...

Besides that, it is much easier to look for a feature in documentation than in the test units...

That is what I meant...

Rodrigo.

Russell Norris wrote:

I agree with you that everybody would be benefited a lot if they
know about unit tests. But a framework should not expect this from the end
user. It should be up to (s)he to be enlighten...

Besides that, it is much easier to look for a feature in
documentation than in the test units...

That's not what I was getting at: What I meant that it is easy to make
a small change that inadvertently changes how something behaves. At
that point a unit tests guard against such inadvertent changes,
documentation does not.

Fred

Hi Rodrigo:

I know a screencast from railscasts.com that shows how to contribute to Rails with patches. In the example, the author contributes some documentation wich is precisely what you intend to do.

Enjoy.

Thanks, Abel. I've downloaded and watched it.

Frederick Cheung has also noted about lifo's docrails project on github.

It seems more interesting, and now I'm playing a bit with git, before trying to contribute.

The next step is to understand the related source code. When trying to get the picture, I've found the following piece of uncommented code that I couldn't understand. I tried to ask on ruby-talk newsgroup, but no one answered...

def templates_in_path   (Dir.glob("#{@path}/**/*/**") | Dir.glob("#{@path}/**")).each do |file|     unless File.directory?(file)       yield Template.new(file.split("#{self}/").last, self)     end   end end

That got me intrigued. What is the difference between Dir.glob("#{@path}/**/*/**") | Dir.glob("#{@path}/**") and just Dir.glob("#{@path}/**") ?

Thanks,

Rodrigo.

Abel wrote: