Rails installation does not work on windows

Hi,

i wanted to upgrade my rails installation that worked for quite a while. So i did the obvious

gem install rails

but the fcgi gem fails with an error message

Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)     ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

ruby extconf.rb install rails checking for fcgiapp.h... no checking for fastcgi/fcgiapp.h... no *** extconf.rb failed *** Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:         --with-opt-dir         --without-opt-dir         --with-opt-include         --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include         --with-opt-lib         --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib         --with-make-prog         --srcdir=.         --curdir         --ruby=c:/ruby/bin/ruby         --with-fcgi-dir         --without-fcgi-dir         --with-fcgi-include         --without-fcgi-include=${fcgi-dir}/include         --with-fcgi-lib         --without-fcgi-lib=${fcgi-dir}/lib

Gem files will remain installed in c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ fcgi-0.8.7 for inspection. Results logged to c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fcgi-0.8.7/ext/fcgi/ gem_make.out

I did not find any hints on this in the forum except other users having the same issue. However no answer to their quesion.

My existing rails installation was broken afterwards. I tries a clean install (Ruby from scratch, Rails from scratch) same error. Now Rails is out of order.

How can I fix this ? I have several infrastructure components build with Rails running on Windows so I need a working rails environment ?

Thanks for any support, Arno

try to use this command

gem update --system

then try to execute

gem install rails

This helped. Thanks a lot.