rails generate scaffold - ERROR

Hi,

I just installed ROR using the rvm using these instructions: http://ryanbigg.com/2010/12/ubuntu-ruby-rvm-rails-and-you/

Using Ubuntu 12 on VirtualBox

I’m trying to create a demo_app

rails generate scaffold User name:string email:string

gives me this error:

And what do you see at this URL?

Walter

Hey Natmanu,

In order for Rails assets pipeline to handle JS it needs a JS runtime installed on your machine. Since you said you’re on Ubuntu if you don’t mind installing node you could just run sudo apt-get install nodejs. Otherwise the execjs gem works well and makes your project a little more portable.

I’m new to ubuntu, only installed it to learn ruby.

Is there a comand to install

Hey Natmanu,

In order for Rails assets pipeline to handle JS it needs a JS runtime installed on your machine. Since you said you’re on Ubuntu if you don’t mind installing node you could just run sudo apt-get install nodejs. Otherwise the execjs gem works well and makes your project a little more portable.

Nate West – -615.631.6545-

Thanks Nate, I managed to get the JS installed.

Uncomment the following line in Gemfile

gem ‘therubyracer’, :platforms => :ruby

Hi,

I seem to be hitting some configuration errors every step of the tutorial. IS there a way to check my config to see I have all that I need set up?

Now when I try: bundle exec rake db:migrate

is get Error: RVM Ruby not used, run ‘rvm use 1.9.1’ first

I’m not sure i understand the error. is should run: rvm use 1.9.1

…I’m persevering… :slight_smile: nat

I sympathise with you, trying to learn Ubuntu, rvm, ruby and rails all at once can be a bit overwhelming. Persevere and all will become clear in time. The error seems a bit odd. The rvm use command allows you to specify which ruby you wish to use, I am surprised that it has not defaulted to something. However you can easily set the default ruby. First see which ones you have installed by running, in a terminal rvm list

Then to make one of the these the default run rvm --default use 1.9.3 you don't normally need the -pnnn patch number unless you have multiple versions of the same ruby (which would not normally be a good idea). In the error it said 1.9.1, I hope you are not using that version (which does not play well with rails), it should probably be 1.9.3

Colin

Thanks for the reply Colin,

I’m sure my stubborn nature is going to get me through this learning curve.

when i run: rvm list

the result is:

ruby-2.0.0-p247 [x86_64]

=> - current

=* - current && default

So should i run

rvm --default use 1.9.3

or

rvm --default use 2.0.0

Nat

Thanks for the reply Colin,

No, problem. Could you not top post please, it makes it difficult to follow the thread. Insert your reply at appropriate points in previous message. Thanks.

I'm sure my stubborn nature is going to get me through this learning curve.

when i run: rvm list

the result is:

ruby-2.0.0-p247 [x86_64] # => - current # =* - current && default # * - default

So should i run rvm --default use 1.9.3 or rvm --default use 2.0.0

rvm list says you only have 2.0.0 installed, which I see is the one recommended in the tutorial so that should be ok, so rvm --default use 2.0.0 Then when you run rvm list again you see it with =* against it showing that it is the current and default.

Looking at the tutorial I see that Ryan has included the command to set the default in the section headed Ruby, presumably you missed that bit.

Colin

Thanks for the help and direction on posting Colin.

I’ve managed to get it working now… well i did not get an error when running db:migrate

Think I need break. Will continue later and sure you’ll see me around here agian.

Cheers Colin and all who replied.

Nat