Rails doesn't scale because RI/transactions in app not db!!!

I'm a bit concerned about that too, so I've been sticking every piece of validation I can into the database layer as opposed to in ruby code.

To be fair, having referential integrity in the ruby side shouldn't slow things down, although it does make your database more fragile; references arent loaded unless you ask them to be. A regular index on a join column would be just as fast as a foreign key index, possibly faster on updates/deletes.

However, you lose a lot of the *integrity* part of that if you leave this up to rails. The main reasons referential integrity and constraints exist are to to defend your data layer from bugs in the application layer. Stuff like preventing a customer that has an order pending from being deleted, or making sure an invoice can not be saved with a total of less than one cent. Sure, you can code all of this into the ruby side, but then if you're working on something by hand (in script/console or doing raw SQL queries) you can still mess things up pretty badly.

The way rails handles transactions does bug me a bit though. If I need to do a complex sequence of changes in a database as one transaction, I will probably do it as a stored procedure on the database side and just call out to that. I'm already doing this for "side effects" in one of my applications.... in several places, but here's one example: I have a table for hostnames, and a table for domain names. Hosts belong to Domains. Hosts have a "full_name" column that combines their name with the name of their parent (eg; host "foo" in domain "bar.com" gets the full_name "foo.bar.com"). Instead of coding this as a before_save action on the rails side, I made it a "BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE" trigger on the postgresql side.

I think leaving as much of the data massaging/validating up to the database as possible is not just a bit faster, but also probably a lot safer.

Rails needs to provide these features because not all database engines support them (eg; SQLite)... but if something to do with the data model can be done in the database, I think it should. That *doesn't* mean that you should do something in the database layer JUST because you can. The database should only been concerned with handling the data. I've seen stored procedures that actually do things like send email, and that, well, scares me. :slight_smile:

Cheers,     Tyler

Err, that's what the directory marked 'test' is for.

All you are doing here is stating that you don't trust your testing regime and loading your database with unnecessary checks.

The main reasons referential integrity and constraints exist

It doesn't matter who I trust. The *database* should not trust the application. :slight_smile: The database is the custodian of the data, and if it lets the data get corrupted by outside hands, that's it's fault and something that it could have prevented.

The "application" isn't always the rails app, either. It might be you going in and doing queries manually. And there are numerous bugs that would not get caught by conventional unit testing, that would get caught by a strong database layer - for instance, a dispatcher process getting 'kill -9'ed in the middle of a complex set of data manipulation (which really should have been a stored procedure on the SQL side in the first place...)

Cheers,     Tyler

We can go back and forth on this until the end of time. There’s obviously no “God-ordained right way” to deal with databases and referential integrity (see the eBay link above) no matter how hard people push each side. If you have multiple applications hitting the same database, then yes, you’ll pretty much need DB integrity built into your tables, otherwise it’s really a personal choice taking into account usages, scaling and what not.

Personally, I HATE stored procedures as they, depending on the DBMS, are quite difficult to write tests for and add another external dependency on the application.

I wonder if the RevolutionHealth has anything to say on this subject. I’m gonna search their blog, see what’s up.

Jason

You're right. The original concern was that the lack of RI/transactions on the DB side would cause scaling problems. I guess the point I was trying to illustrate was, that when you are developing in rails, you can still take advantage of pretty much everything your RDBMS has to offer.

Cheers,     Tyler

Tyler MacDonald wrote the following on 30.05.2007 18:44 :

Err, that's what the directory marked 'test' is for.

All you are doing here is stating that you don't trust your testing regime and loading your database with unnecessary checks.        It doesn't matter who I trust. The *database* should not trust the application. :slight_smile:

Then code your application in the database. See you next century :slight_smile:

The database is the custodian of the data, and if it lets the data get corrupted by outside hands, that's it's fault and something that it could have prevented.

I don't think you can reasonably describe all constraints on your data in the database. This probably could be done with trigers and stored procedure but would be a maintenance hell. Next thing you would push the access control to the database layer too (some have tried and this has been a nightmare for them : RDBMs supports for groups and acls is not standardised and make migrations across them impossible, everytime the user/group attributes aren't enough and you must add other tables to store basic informations which complicates your object model, ...).

At this time the best thing in my opinion is to combine the transactional capabilities and foreign keys support of RDBMS with validation checks out of the database (which makes it far easier to report errors to users BTW, a RDBMs raw error string isn't exactly useful to the end-users). Putting your validation code out of the DB means that migrating your DB to new constraints is far easier. I've done several migrations where constraints that were true in the previous application versions weren't anymore which meant some data became invalid, it's far easier to handle this problem with external code : you can run all your validating code on current data while it's still in use just to measure the extent of the problem and evaluate the time needed to reformat some columns for example. With constraints in DB you have far less friendly tools : the DB can refuse changing constraints due to invalid data or accept them without a posteriori problem detection (when the check is only done at INSERT or UPDATE time for example) -> your data becomes broken. Solving this is possible but far more difficult than it is at the application level.

The "application" isn't always the rails app, either. It might be you going in and doing queries manually.

I agree you're far better off with only one consistant mean of accessing your data. But that doesn't mean it must be the DB, with Rails you are usually advised to provide a REST interface in order to make other applications use the same validation code. The script/console tool replaces the db command-line tool with the same benefit.

And there are numerous bugs that would not get caught by conventional unit testing, that would get caught by a strong database layer - for instance, a dispatcher process getting 'kill -9'ed in the middle of a complex set of data manipulation (which really should have been a stored procedure on the SQL side in the first place...)    Rails supports transactions, a "kill -9" doesn't harm your data unless you are working outside transactions, no need for stored procedures, point blank.

Lionel