rails documentation for older releases

Hello,

So rails 2.0 has been released and the docs @ api.rubyonrails.com are 2.0'ed now as well. Are there any plans at all to provide documentation for older rails releases?

Working on projects that are still using an older release, it's easier to navigate documentation where just the pertinent methods to the version of rails being used are seen.

Of course I can go ahead and build the docs locally and use those, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Thanks, Andrew

Good point. It is possible to update API website this way quite easily I think.

If you have the Rails gems installed, you can always just run the gemserver locally and get the docs from there. No need to build your docs separately.

In your terminal, type "gem server" (or "gem_server" if you're not on the latest rubygems). Then point your browser at localhost:8808 to read the docs on all versions of all your installed gems.

--josh

Sorry, reading the docs using gem server was what I meant to say.

Docs don't need to be available for *every* release either, just the main milestones would be probably be good enough.

For example, those learning rails and reading the agile rails book would likely find it easier to find their way around by referring to the docs for 1.2.6 only.

Andrew

Maybe my example was bad... those learning rails should be learning 2.0 ideally. :slight_smile: How about those learning rails while supporting an app from an earlier release would find things easier with seperate docs? :slight_smile:

Andrew Kaspick wrote:

Working on projects that are still using an older release, it's easier to navigate documentation where just the pertinent methods to the version of rails being used are seen.

Check out railsmanual.org. They have a few different versions. Plus I like their layout better and they allow commenting on methods/modules.

Eric

I recommend railsbrain.com.

- Rob