Rails Console Sandbox : .save | .create

At the end of Rails Tutorial chapter 6, I have the development .sqlite3 db : 1 table and 1 row (= user id:1 see below) :

when running from the Rails Concole Sandbox, to create other rows/records, I can not save or create here is what I get - Rollback - without even exiting the Rail Console ! ! ! it is like if an exception is raised somehow

1.9.3p125 :002 > user1 = User.first

User Load (0.2ms) SELECT "users".* FROM "users" LIMIT 1 => #<User id: 1, name: "Michael Hartl", email: "mhartl@example.com", created_at: "2012-05-22 10:32:16", updated_at: "2012-05-22 10:32:16", password_digest: "$2a $10$Eh2xj8CvvKaDFD2uel4LbOQ2dMsCmENy8tyts1BsFzJb...">

1.9.3p125 :002 > user2 = User.create(name: "Francois DG", email: "fdg@example.com")

(0.1ms) SAVEPOINT active_record_1   User Exists (0.2ms) SELECT 1 FROM "users" WHERE LOWER("users"."email") = LOWER('fdg@example.com') LIMIT 1    (0.1ms) ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT active_record_1 => #<User id: nil, name: "Francois DG", email: "fdg@example.com", created_at: nil, updated_at: nil, password_digest: nil>

CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME WHY & WHAT TO DO ?

At the end of Rails Tutorial chapter 6, I have the development .sqlite3 db : 1 table and 1 row (= user id:1 see below) :

> when running from the Rails Concole Sandbox, to create other rows/records, I can not save or create > here is what I get - Rollback - without even exiting the Rail Console ! ! ! > it is like if an exception is raised somehow

Sounds like you've got a failing validation - user2.errors will tell you which validations (if any) have failed.

Fred

Thank you Fred !

Meanwhile I simply realized that I had to submit a new user with all attributes and not just 2 :

that was why the validation did not work and the transaction was rolled back.

Thanks for the user2.errors hint…

Francesco