Rails CLI server bind host defaults to 127.0.0.1, is there a way to make it default to 0.0.0.0?

I’m trying to make the rails CLI server bind host default to 0.0.0.0 on some machines i manage. Currently, it binds to localhost/127.0.0.1, and it seems to keep catching new developers who are unaware of this.

Currently, i’m wrapping the rails command with a shell script, automatically injecting the -b 0.0.0.0 flag if it is not provided. This is rather hacky though, and gems has issues with it (it won’t uninstall rails apparently, but that’s besides the point).

Do you have any recommendations for defaulting to 0.0.0.0?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks,

I'm trying to make the rails CLI server bind host default to 0.0.0.0 on some machines i manage. Currently, it binds to localhost/127.0.0.1, and it seems to keep catching new developers who are unaware of this.

that is fine. they are new developers and the default localhost is safe for them : )

Currently, i'm wrapping the rails command with a shell script, automatically injecting the `-b 0.0.0.0` flag if it is not provided. This is rather hacky though, and gems has issues with it (it won't uninstall rails apparently, but that's besides the point).

Do you have any recommendations for defaulting to 0.0.0.0?

you can override Rails::Server#default_options and merge this hash {Host: "0.0.0.0", Port:3000}

changing defaults is not my habit so i wont recommend it. i would prefer instead creating a new rake task that start rails w the default options i want

kind regards --botp

that is fine. they are new developers and the default localhost is

safe for them : )

Generally i agree, but it’s not really up for me to change. And regarding localhost being safe, it’s actually (mostly) useless. The machines in question are not the localhost (though, on the network) - so localhost is nearly useless for them heh. One way or another, i need to do it unfortunately… and my solution of wrapping the rails bin seems pretty bad, heh

you can override Rails::Server#default_options and merge this hash

{Host: “0.0.0.0”, Port:3000}

To be clear, you’re saying modify the command rails puts in the bin? Eg, /usr/local/bin/rails?

changing defaults is not my habit so i wont recommend it.

i would prefer instead creating a new rake task that start rails w the

default options i want

I would agree there, but i’m trying to implement a default option for the global rails command. You’re referring to a project-local rake task, correct?

Note: Pardon any ignorant statements about rails/ruby, i’m not a ruby person. This is more of a general unix task, that i am hoping actual rails developers might have a better solution for :slight_smile:

I appreciate your reply!

So your developers are "working on" remote machines? Unusual.

In any case, you can specify alternate port, binding, etc. options in the config.ru file.

HTH,

Is this documented somewhere? Officially or just unofficialy?

That's the only place I've seen it mentioned.