Rails 3 where query for nested attributes

Hi,

I am using this code from railscast for searching in my activerecords:

There is this method in the 'Product'-Model, which is searching for the product name:

class Project < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :tasks   validates_presence_of :name

def self.search(search)     if search       find(:all, :conditions => ['name LIKE ?', "%#{search}%"]) #Rails 2       where('name LIKE ?', "%#{search}%") #Rails 3     else       find(:all)     end   end end

My question is now, how can I search for products that have a given task name. Task is a nested attribute for Product. I only use one of the search line above. The second one is only possible with Rails 3.

I don't find anything about nested queries for activerecords with 'find' or 'where'.

I hope someone can help! Sebastian

Hi,

I am using this code from railscast for searching in my activerecords:#37 Simple Search Form - RailsCasts

There is this method in the 'Product'-Model, which is searching for the product name:

class Project < ActiveRecord::Base has_many :tasks validates_presence_of :name

def self.search(search) if search find(:all, :conditions => ['name LIKE ?', "%#{search}%"]) #Rails 2 where('name LIKE ?', "%#{search}%") #Rails 3 else find(:all) end end end

My question is now, how can I search for products that have a given task name. Task is a nested attribute for Product. I only use one of the search line above. The second one is only possible with Rails 3.

I don't find anything about nested queries for activerecords with 'find' or 'where'.

You can do stuff like Project.joins(:tasks).where(:tasks => {:some_column_on_tasks = 23}) (in rails to that would be find :all, :joins => :tasks, :conditions => {:tasks => {...}}

If you use the string form of conditions you just need to prepend the table name to the column name, ie where('tasks.name like ...')

Fred

Thank you so much, it's working great! I also found that in the official Rails 3 guides, but I didn't know that I have to look for the join method.

Now I am using the following code, just for case that anybody else has the same issue:

class Project < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :tasks   validates_presence_of :name

def self.search(search)     if search       joins(:tasks).where('name LIKE ?', "%#{search}%") #Rails 3     else       find(:all)     end   end end