Rails 3 - Email feature without smtp

Hi All,            I am new to Rails & I had the rails 3 setup on my windows box for running a small application which used to send emails on completion of certain tasks. Snippet of code for sending mails, worked using the below method. <Code> outlook = WIN32OLE.new('Outlook.Application')   message = outlook.CreateItem(0)   message.Subject = t2_subject   message.HTMLBody = t2_body <Code>

Now I moved to Ubuntu for setting up ROR 3, and i cannot use the above method to send mails from my linux box.

I know mostly people use ActionMailer for sending mails in ROR. I had the following requirements, and anyone of you can shed some light on these: (i) I wanted to setup a send email method for ROR on linux box, without having me setup SMTP server, or using my personal ID to send mails from application. (ii) If it can take a dummy 'FROM' email ID to deliver emails to all recipients, that works for me.

Thanks

I know mostly people use ActionMailer for sending mails in ROR. I had the following requirements, and anyone of you can shed some light on these: (i) I wanted to setup a send email method for ROR on linux box, without having me setup SMTP server, or using my personal ID to send mails from application.

The below episode gives a good intro about using action mailer with your personal email. http://asciicasts.com/episodes/206-action-mailer-in-rails-3

(ii) If it can take a dummy 'FROM' email ID to deliver emails to all recipients, that works for me.

Not recommended for production.

Hi All,

Now I moved to Ubuntu for setting up ROR 3, and i cannot use the above

method to send mails from my linux box.

I know mostly people use ActionMailer for sending mails in ROR.

I had the following requirements, and anyone of you can shed some light

on these:

(i) I wanted to setup a send email method for ROR on linux box, without

having me setup SMTP server, or using my personal ID to send mails from

application.

There are a number of services (sendgrid, postage app, postmark app etc.) that expose either smtp or http apis for sending email. They take care of actually running email servers in both cases.