Rails 2 vs Rails 3 db:test:prepare oddness

Reference: http://gist.github.com/636670

I use PostgreSQL in my project and I have triggers and functions defined as Active Record migrations. In Rails 2.3.10 this works exactly as expected. However, in Rails 3 it does not. The DBMS service is the same in both cases so this variation is cause by some implementation change in Rails-3.

The difference is that in Rails 2.3 the triggers and functions are created by db:test:prepare and in Rails 3.0 they are not. In both Rails-2 and Rails-3 the development and production databases that are created by db:migrate are identical, complete with the functions and triggers. However, Rails 3 db:test:prepare does not create the functions or triggers in the test database at all.

This is a fairly significant failing and if it is a bug then I am very surprised to discover it. If I am doing something wrong then I would like to know what it is.

James Byrne wrote in post #955823:

Reference: Rails-3.0.0 ยท GitHub

I use PostgreSQL in my project and I have triggers and functions defined as Active Record migrations.

As a former stored-procedure fan myself, I would strongly encourage you to move those into the application layer. Maintenance of SPs is a nightmare, version control and testing are generally difficult to impossible, and they are generally just not worth the trouble.

That goes double for triggers.

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #955846:

As a former stored-procedure fan myself, I would strongly encourage you to move those into the application layer. Maintenance of SPs is a nightmare, version control and testing are generally difficult to impossible, and they are generally just not worth the trouble.

This is not possible in a audit compliant environment. And the generation of both functions and triggers in the production and development database is properly handled by the Rails-3 Active Record migration task. The question at hand is: Is there a bug in the db:test:prepare task in Rails-3 or not? If not then what need I do differently?

James Byrne wrote in post #955871:

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #955846:

This is not possible in a audit compliant environment.

Perhaps. I'm not at all convinced of this, and there seem to be some circumstances in which logic in the DB actually makes things harder to audit, not easier.

If you can explain what audit functionality you think you need from SPs and triggers, I'll try to provide more specific advice.

And the generation of both functions and triggers in the production and development database is properly handled by the Rails-3 Active Record migration task. The question at hand is: Is there a bug in the db:test:prepare task in Rails-3 or not?

I am aware that this is the question at hand, but I do not think it is the only question to be answered. Your life really will be easier if you get rid of your stored procedures and triggers.

If not then what need I do differently?

I suspect db:test:prepare is loading the DB from the schema file, not rerunning all the migrations -- at least, that's what it *should* be doing.

If I am right about this, then you need to get the SPs and triggers into the schema file. There may be a plugin to do that (as Foreigner does for foreign keys); if not, then you'll have to set the schema dumper to use SQL instead of Ruby for the schema file.

Best,

This was caused by forgetfulness. When we switched to Rails3 we did so by generating a new Rails3 project and copying the .git directory from the Rails2 version and resolving the diffs. But we missed setting config.active_record.schema_format = :sql.