Rails 2.3 Sessions

I've just upgraded to Rails 2.3.2. I am using active_record_store as my session approach and session.model is deprecated. I was using that to update a couple extra session db columns. Does anyone knows what is the best approach for that now, since ActiveRecord::SessionStore does not help that much?

thanks!

I had the exact same problem, and I couldn't find any help anywhere. So I played with it until I got it to work. This is what I did to put the user id in the sessions table upon login:

In session.rb:

class Session < ActiveRecord::Base   def self.update_user_id(id, sess_id)     connection.update("UPDATE sessions SET user_id = '#{id}' WHERE session_id = '#{sess_id}'")   end end

In login action in the controller:

if session[:userid] = User.authenticate(params[:user][:username], params[:user][:password])   Session.update_user_id(session[:userid], request.session.session_id)   [...]

IOW, this:

session.model.user_id = session[:userid]

becomes this:

Session.update_user_id(session[:userid], request.session.session_id)

Apparently one has to call "session[:userid]" or in order to "activate" the session since it is now lazy (ie it won't load unless you access it). Otherwise, the "request.session.session_id" part won't work.

Hope this helps!

Your suggestion helped a lot! I’ve followed a slightly different approach, but using your idea. What I did was add the following private method in my login controller:

def session_user_id(id) ActiveRecord::Base.connection.update(“UPDATE sessions SET user_id = #{id} WHERE session_id = ‘#{request.session.session_id}’”) end

And then I just do this in the login action:

session[:user] = user.id session_user_id(session[:user])

I think that there is an advantage in this approach. No need to deal with any custom session classes and the method is only available where it should be.

cheers!