quick deprecation patch for Rails 2.0

Here is a really tiny patch to avoid another annoying deprecation warning :slight_smile:

http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/10181

Here is a really tiny patch to avoid another annoying deprecation warning :slight_smile:

http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/10181

What are you doing that triggers a warning?

Person.columns_hash["created_at"].type => :datetime

Type's our own attribute, not 'class'?

I'm adding attributes to the object before converting it to xml, something like that:

@photo @photo[:user_id] = @photo.user.id

render :xml => @photo.to_xml( :except => [:id, :filename, :updated_at, :height, :width], :skip_types => true)

Maybe the problem is that you can't easily add an attribute.

-Matt

I'm adding attributes to the object before converting it to xml, something like that:

@photo @photo[:user_id] = @photo.user.id

render :xml => @photo.to_xml( :except => [:id, :filename, :updated_at, :height, :width], :skip_types => true)

Maybe the problem is that you can't easily add an attribute.

I'm not sure that's something we intend to support. You should be able to use, either :methods=>[:user_id] or a builder template to achieve what you're after?

I'm not sure that's something we intend to support. You should be able to use, either :methods=>[:user_id] or a builder template to achieve what you're after?

From the RDoc: to_xml is controlled with :only, :except, :skip_instruct, :skip_types and :dasherize. The :only and :except options are the same as for the attributes method. To not have the column type included in the XML output, set :skip_types to true.

While that works great when you want to remove some attributes, sometimes you simply want to add one attribute, creating a builder template for that seems like an overkill to me.

Can you explain what you mean by using :methods=>[:user_id]?

Would it be bad to add another method to to_xml, such as #add?

One could do:

render :xml => @photo.to_xml( :except =>[:id, :filename, :updated_at, :height, :width], :add => {:user_id => @photo.user.id})

What do you think?

-Matt

Can you explain what you mean by using :methods=>[:user_id]?

Here's an example of:

In your Photo class you can define a method 'user_id':

class Photo   def user_id     user.id   end end

Then get to_xml to include it when serializing with a :methods => [:user_id] option.

My opinion is that the :methods way should work for you quite well (there's no need for the proposed :add option). Otherwise, Builder templates is the way to go if you're going after something more complicated.

Cheers, Chu Yeow

From the RDoc: to_xml is controlled with :only, :except, :skip_instruct, :skip_types and :dasherize. The :only and :except options are the same as for the attributes method. To not have the column type included in the XML output, set :skip_types to true.

The rdoc also says:

To include any methods on the object(s) being called use :methods firm.to_xml :methods => [ :calculated_earnings, :real_earnings ] <firm> # ... normal attributes as shown above ...   <calculated-earnings>100000000000000000</calculated-earnings>   <real-earnings>5</real-earnings> </firm>

There's also a :procs option.

Fred