questions about cookies when bridging together two rails apps

Hey all,

I am looking through this example Rails app where a user session is stored in cookie so user signs up in one rails app and navigates to another while still being signed in as unique user. I come across this line of code where I don't understand where some of these methods are coming from:

@session = Session.create!(:user => @user)     cookies[:session_token] = {:value => @session.token, :domain => Settings.session_token_domain}

1) I look in Session class and there is no create! class method. Yet it works and doesn't throw an exception.

I do understand when that create! method is called, the constructor is initialized first and generates a random number and assigns it to the token property (self.token) of the specific instance. And then stores the instance to the @session instance variable.

2) I did a global search of app and found no property or method called "session_token_domain", although there is a Session class but session_token_domain is not declared anywhere in it. The only other location is in settings.yml, which has something like this:

production:   <<: *default_settings   session_token_domain: xxxxx

So I'm not sure why this doesn't throw an exception either.

3) Finally I see that Rails supports a hash called cookies that can pass strings or symbols. Here a key is created and a value which contains subhashes is passed into it. So we store a unique session token for user. What value does this add rather than just assigning the user id in the sessions hash which is actually done in the same method:

session[:user_id] = @user.id

Why store them both?

Thanks for response

Hey all,

I am looking through this example Rails app where a user session is stored in cookie so user signs up in one rails app and navigates to another while still being signed in as unique user. I come across this line of code where I don't understand where some of these methods are coming from:

@session = Session\.create\!\(:user =&gt; @user\)
cookies\[:session\_token\] = \{:value =&gt; @session\.token, :domain =&gt;

Settings.session_token_domain}

1) I look in Session class and there is no create! class method. Yet it works and doesn't throw an exception.

With so little context it is hard to say.

I do understand when that create! method is called, the constructor is initialized first and generates a random number and assigns it to the token property (self.token) of the specific instance. And then stores the instance to the @session instance variable.

2) I did a global search of app and found no property or method called "session_token_domain", although there is a Session class but session_token_domain is not declared anywhere in it. The only other location is in settings.yml, which has something like this:

Again, we know nothing about your app. At a wild guess, maybe the settings class reads settings.yml and created methods for all the attributes defined in there.

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote in post #995797:

Settings.session_token_domain}

With so little context it is hard to say.

It inherits from ActiveRecord and I know ActiveRecord doesn't contain a create! method. The only possibility could be then a gem that works as a singleton. But what I would love to do is something like: logger.info Session.create! and then get output that says that this method is defined in such and such class, kind of like a callstack. But of course logger.info or logger.error just tells you what the value holds, not where it was declared and initialized.

Frederick Cheung wrote in post #995797:

>> Settings.session_token_domain}

>> 1) I look in Session class and there is no create! class method. Yet it >> works and doesn't throw an exception.

> With so little context it is hard to say.

It inherits from ActiveRecord and I know ActiveRecord doesn't contain a create! method.

Wrongo. ActiveRecord::Validations::ClassMethods

The only possibility could be then a gem that works as a singleton. But what I would love to do is something like: logger.info Session.create! and then get output that says that this method is defined in such and such class, kind of like a callstack. But of course logger.info or logger.error just tells you what the value holds, not where it was declared and initialized.

You could step into it with the debugger.

Fred