Question: An application made with Ruby on Rails is Open Source by default?

Hello everybody,

I'm about to enter the Ruby on Rails Community after reading a lot of good feedback on the Internet and the Agile Programming book also.

Before starting to develop my application I would like to clear one last thing (or doubt). I was told that using applications that are developped in Ruby on Rails are Open Source by default. Is that true? (In my case, it will be a commercial application, so Open Source is not an option for the moment)

Thank you in advance for your kind answer.

Best regards, Dorian

Hello everybody,

I'm about to enter the Ruby on Rails Community after reading a lot of good feedback on the Internet and the Agile Programming book also.

Before starting to develop my application I would like to clear one last thing (or doubt). I was told that using applications that are developped in Ruby on Rails are Open Source by default. Is that true? (In my case, it will be a commercial application, so Open Source is not an option for the moment)

Rails is under the MIT license which doesn't place any obligations on you (other than stuff like no warranty is provided for Rails etc. )

Fred

Thank you Fred for your quick answer.

Looks like i’ll start soon my application using RoR!

Best Regards, Dorian

Thank you Fred for your quick answer.

Looks like i'll start soon my application using RoR!

Also (and I am not a lawyer etc.) if what you've got is just a hosted service it wouldn't matter if you had to gpl your code because (at least under the gpl v2) you're usully not actually distributing your app, so none of the provisions about providing source code kick in.

Fred

I would also agree that this is an interesting point after skimming the MySQL

license and reading through some threads.

-Conrad