Question about state during subsequent calls of an action

Hi!

i'm developing a rails application for a university assignment. i'll spare you the details as i think my question is much more general.

i have a model, called TreasureHunt, which contains a class variable, @@idno, and a reader class method, TreasureHunt.idno. in the initializer, i increment the @@idno variable, to keep track of the number of objects instantiated.

then i have a controller, treasurehunt_controller, with an action, called load, which does some things (loads a treasurehunt and blah blah blah). in the load method, i create a treasurehunt object, thus supposedly incrementing the @@idno variable.

the problem is i'm not (incrementing the variable).

when i debug the app (using a flash that gets displayed in my layout), the @@idno variable is always 1, even after subsequent calls of the load action.

does anybody know why?

do i need to store that state somewhere else? i'm pretty confused.

thanks asy

then i have a controller, treasurehunt_controller, with an action, called load, which does some things (loads a treasurehunt and blah blah blah). in the load method, i create a treasurehunt object, thus supposedly incrementing the @@idno variable.

the problem is i'm not (incrementing the variable).

when i debug the app (using a flash that gets displayed in my layout), the @@idno variable is always 1, even after subsequent calls of the load action.

does anybody know why?

in development mode classes are reloaded between requests, so on the second request you get a brand new TreasureHunt class, with a brand new @@idno variable

Fred

that was exactly the kind of answer i was looking for.. thanks a lot!

asymmetric