Putting Date Time in Rails2 logs

Basically I just want to see the Date and time on each line of the log. I cant seem to find out how to do that.

Surely it must be easy? I'm surprised its not default behaviour...

I am running Rails 2.2.2

Cheers George

I am too, but ... :slight_smile:

For a 2.3.x app, I just overrode ActiveSupport::BufferedLogger#add to put the timestamp at the beginning of the line. Still seems vaguely hacky, but it works just fine.

HTH,

Overriding ActiveSupport::BufferedLogger#add seesm to be the way to go. I found the following on StackOverflow and stuck it at the bottom of Envioronment.rb and it seems to work well. I'm amazed the standard logger does not do thios!

module ActiveSupport   class BufferedLogger     def add(severity, message = nil, progname = nil, &block)       return if @level > severity       message = (message || (block && block.call) || progname).to_s

level = {         0 => "DEBUG",         1 => "INFO ",         2 => "WARN ",         3 => "ERROR",         4 => "FATAL"       }[severity] || "U"

message = "[%s: %s] %s" % [level,Time.now.strftime("%Y-%m-%d %H: %M:%S"), message]

message = "#{message}\n" unless message[-1] == ?\n       buffer << message       auto_flush       message     end   end