profile picture display in Heroku

Hi all, I have a rails application where users can upload profile pictures. Now this all works perfectly fine.

Problem is I have recently uploaded my application to Heroku. It allows me to upload the image and actually states in the box what the image is but doesn't display it as it can't find the file.

Are there any methods to change this free of charge?

My code looks like the following in the user model:

has_attached_file :photo,                     :default_url => '/images/guest.png',                     :url => "/assets/users/:id/:style/:basename.:extension",                     :path => ":rails_root/public/assets/users/:id/:style/:basename.:extension"

Just to confirm, the guest.png displays fine, but if I upload a picture that is e.g. bear.jpg then at first it will display but if I come out of the browser and then reload the page in the box it will say bear.jpg but is broken.

Not on Heroku itself. Heroku provides no local file storage, only databases. You could set the files to be stored elsewhere, like on Amazon S3 or some such, but IIUC that's only free for a limited trial period.

If anybody knows of good free secure cloud file storage, suitable for use from Heroku apps, I'd like to hear about it too!

Thanks, Dave

Yeah, and then you're stuck paying through the NOSE, man, like

US Standard Region        $0.125 per GB - first 1 TB / month of storage used        $0.01 per 1,000 PUT, COPY, POST, or LIST requests        $0.01 per 10,000 GET and all other requests

My monthly bill is 3 CENTS. Well, 4, since I started using SES (mail). 'S BRUTAL :slight_smile: