Problems with nil object

Hi to all. I've a very big problem. I know this can seem very loing, but please, try to read it. I have a simply blog, with posts and their comments. I've two tables in my db, posts, with post id, text and comments_count to store the number of comments-children of each post (as recomanded to do in AWDWR); and the table comments, with comment id, post_id for the post they're referred to, and text (there are many other fields, but they're not importat here). I have a home_controller, this is the code:

class HomeController < ApplicationController

def index       @posts = Post.find(:all, :order => "data DESC")     end

def show_comment       @posts = Post.find(:all, :order => "data DESC")       @comments = Comment.find(:all, :conditions => ['post_id= ?', params[:id] ])     end

def add_comment       @posts = Post.find(:all, :order => "data DESC")       @comments = Comment.find(:all, :conditions => ['post_id= ?', params[:id] ])       @com = Comment.new(:post_id => params[:post_id])       if flash[:comment]         @comment = flash[:comment]       else         @comment = Comment.new       end     end

def save_comment       if request.post?         @comment = Comment.new(params[:comment])         if @comment.save           flash[:notice] = "Commento inserito con successo"           redirect_to("/home/show_comment/" + params[:comment][:post_id])         else           flash[:comment] = @comment           redirect_to("/home/add_comment/" + params[:comment][:post_id])         end       end     end

end

and three views, index, add_comment and show_comment.

The problem arise with add_comment. When i want to add a comment for a post without any comment (i'm the first to insert a comment for a post), it displays:

You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! The error occurred while evaluating nil.post_id

Extracted source (around line #17):

14: </p> 15: <% end %> 16: <% end %> 17: <%= com.post_id %> 18: <% if @com.post_id == post.id %> 19: <%= error_messages_for :comment %> 20: <% form_for @comment, :url => {:action => :save_comment} do |form| %>

This is the code for the add_comment page

<% for post in @posts %>       <div class="post">           <p>Titolo: <%= post.titolo %> <span>data: <%= post.data %></span></p>           <p>Testo: <br /><%= post.testo %></p>           <span><%= link_to 'Commenti(' + post.comments.size.to_s + ')', :action => 'show_comment', :id => post %></span>           <span><%= link_to 'Aggiungi un commento', :action => 'add_comment', :id => post %></span>           <div id="comments">             <% for com in @comments %>                 <% if com.post_id == post.id %>                   <p class="<%= cycle('comment-entry-odd','comment-entry-even')%>">                       <%= com.testo %>                   </p>                 <% end %>             <% end %>                 <% if com.post_id == post.id %>                     <%= error_messages_for :comment %>                     <% form_for @comment, :url => {:action => :save_comment} do |form| %>                         <a name="commenti"></a>                         <p>                             <label for="comment_autore">Autore:</label><br />                               <%= form.text_field :autore%></p>                         <p>                             <label for="comment_testo">Testo:</label><br />                               <%= form.text_area :testo %></p>                         <%= form.hidden_field :post_id, :value => post.id %>                         <%= submit_tag "Invia commento" , :class => "submit" %>                     <% end %>                 <%end%>           </div> <!-- end comments -->

</div> <!-- post -->       <% end %>

PLEASE HELP ME to solve this problem!

com isn't defined here. What are you expecting it to be

Fred

Line 16 closes the "for com in @comments" loop so "com" goes out of scope. That's why you are getting the nil error. I think you want to move that <% end %> further down. Think through what the loop should be doing and make sure it wraps all that code.

:slight_smile:

-Danimal