Problems with ActiveRecord, Oracle adapter, find_by_sql, multi-table join - ORA-04043 error

Hi all,

Windows XP Oracle 10g client OCI8 0.1.16 Ruby 1.8.5 Rails 1.1.6

I'm hitting weird behavior with the Oracle adapter and a find_by_sql call on a multi-table join.

The SQL looks like this:

SELECT DISTINCT e1.ip_address, loc.street, loc.city, loc.state FROM schema.net_element ne, schema.equipment e1, schema.equipment e2,      schema.building b, schema.cust_loc cl, schema.location loc WHERE e2.equipment_id = e1.equipment_id AND e2.some_column like 'SOME_VAL%' AND e1.equipment_id = ne.net_element_id AND ne.class_name = 'FooBar' AND e1.building_id = b.building_id AND b.main_address = cl.cust_loc_id AND cl.location_id = loc.location_id

So, I setup a class for the 'Location' table like this:

class OracleLocation < ActiveRecord::Base    establish_connection(       :adapter => "oracle",       :database => "our_db",       :username => "user",       :password => "password"    )

set_table_name :location    set_primary_key "location_id" end

I can get a record back just fine:

loc = OracleLocation.find_by_sql(sql).first p loc

#<OracleLocation:0x385c610 @attributes={"state"=>"WA", "street"=>"1234 Block St", "city"=>"Smallville", "ip_address"=>"172.1.2.3"}>

However, if I try to refer to an attribute, either directly or via the 'attributes' method, I get an error:

p loc.attributes # Boom!

(eval):3:in `__send__': ORA-04043: object location does not exist (OCIError)         from (eval):3:in `describe'         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/oracle_adapter.rb: 361:in `columns'         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/active_record/base.rb:696:in `columns'         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/active_record/base.rb:704:in `columns_hash'         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/active_record/base.rb:1562:in `column_for_attribute'

from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/active_record/base.rb:1801:in `read_attribute'         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/active_record/base.rb:2067:in `send'         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/active_record/base.rb:2067:in `clone_attribute_value '         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/active_record/base.rb:2061:in `clone_attributes'         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/lib/active_support/inflector.rb:161:in `inject'         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/active_record/base.rb:2060:in `each'         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/active_record/base.rb:2060:in `inject'         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/active_record/base.rb:2060:in `clone_attributes'         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.14.4/lib/active_record/base.rb:1519:in `attributes'         from oracletest2.rb:35:in `send'         from oracletest2.rb:35

This error confuses me. There clearly *is* a location table, or the query wouldn't work in the first place. Also, the fact that I'm getting back an ORA-04043 indicates to me that, when I call loc.attributes, it's calling out to the database *again* for some reason. Why?

Is this error caused by the fact that I'm doing a multi-table join here, but haven't actually mapped any of the other tables besides Location? What's going on?

Thanks,

Dan

FROM schema.net_element ne, schema.equipment e1, schema.equipment e2,      schema.building b, schema.cust_loc cl, schema.location loc

set_table_name :location

This error confuses me. There clearly *is* a location table, or the query wouldn't work in the first place. Also, the fact that I'm getting back an ORA-04043 indicates to me that, when I call loc.attributes, it's calling out to the database *again* for some reason. Why?

The problem is that your "Location" table appears to be in the schema "schema", but you're setting the table name to just "location".

Try:

set_table_name 'schema.location'