Problems connecting to remote Oracle DB on windows using active record

I am trying to connect to an older oracle DB remotely, I think version 8 or 9. I downloaded the instant client stuff from oracle and copied oci.dll and oraociei10.dll to my windows/system folder (windows XP) I get the error.

C:\rb-play>ar_connect_ss.rb env.c:257:in oci8lib.so: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of serv ice requested in connect descriptor (OCIError)         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/oci8.rb:228:in `initialize'         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/ active_recor d/connection_adapters/oracle_adapter.rb:585:in `new'         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/ active_rec

If I change the adapter to 'oracle' I get

C:\rb-play>ar_connect_ss.rb env.c:257:in oci8lib.so: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified (OCIError)         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/oci8.rb:228:in `initialize'         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/ active_recor d/connection_adapters/oracle_adapter.rb:585:in `new'         from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.5/lib/ active_recor d/connection_adapters/oracle_adapter.rb:585:in `new_connection'

I've done a bunch of google searches on this. I read if I am using instant client I don't need a tnsnames.ora file, which I'm not that familiar with that file anyway.

Any ideas on this let me know, it has not been as easy as I've hoped for this.