problem with database.yml

Hi all! I am completely new to RoR and I have runned into a problem. I have followed an online course for RoR on Lynda.com and everything has worked out well until I should change to database.yml file.

Instead of the tutors text "host: localhost" I get "socket: /tmp/ mysql.sock" in development enviroment

I thought I would give it a try to continue anyway but when I later try to do "rake db:migrate" after activating my webserver, I get this error:

rake aborted! syntax error on line 18, col 2: ` host: localhost'

(See full trace by running task with --trace)

Any help would be gladely appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance,

Jacob

Thanks for your reply. I might add that I use mac os x..

How should I do to make it work?

Thanks for your response Benjamin.

I am sorry but I am too much of a beginner to see what you mean by commenting out of the socket-line.. I guess that you have to bring it down to a 3 year olds level :slight_smile:

Thanks for your response Benjamin.

I am sorry but I am too much of a beginner to see what you mean by commenting out of the socket-line.. I guess that you have to bring it down to a 3 year olds level :slight_smile:

Comment out: place a # symbol at the start of the line. It's also worth checking that you've indented with spaces not tabs -
yaml doesn't like tabs

Fred

I identified the problem.

instead of spaces there were tabs before the lines. Kind of strange since that file is generated by the system...

rake db:migrate still doesn´t work, now it tells me that "#28000Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)"

but at least it´s one step in the right direction :slight_smile: