problem with apache + passenger

Hi guys,

I need to install Redmine on my company's server and set it to run on Apache + Passenger.

I'm able to run Redmine using Webrick, but when I try to run it on Apache+Passenger it doesn't work. I access the Redmine's url in the browser and I see a list of files instead of the Redmine's main page. It seems Passenger is not working.

My files are like this:

cat /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/passenger.load LoadModule passenger_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_passenger.so

cat /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/passenger.conf PassengerDefaultUser www-data <IfModule mod_passenger.c> PassengerRoot /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/passenger-3.0.13 PassengerRuby /usr/bin/ruby1.9.1 </IfModule>

cat /etc/apache2/sites-available/default <VirtualHost *:80> PassengerSpawnMethod smart PassengerPoolIdleTime 300 RailsFrameworkSpawnerIdleTime 0 PassengerMaxRequests 5000 PassengerStatThrottleRate 5 PassengerMinInstances 3

DocumentRoot /var/www/redmine-2.0.3/public ServerName cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br/redmine

<Directory />                Options FollowSymLinks                AllowOverride None        </Directory>        <Directory /var/www/redmine-2.0.3/>                RailsBaseURI /redmine-2.0.3                PassengerResolveSymlinksInDocumentRoot on                Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews                AllowOverride None                Order allow,deny                allow from all        </Directory>

</VirtualHost>

After configuring these files like that I restarted Apache: /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

I'm new with Linux and I'm not sure how to check if the module Passenger is installed in Apache. I found the file /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_passenger.so in the server, so does it means that the module is installed?

I'll appreciate any help.

Thanks

Hi guys,

I need to install Redmine on my company’s server and set it to run on

Apache + Passenger.

I’m able to run Redmine using Webrick, but when I try to run it on

Apache+Passenger it doesn’t work. I access the Redmine’s url in the

browser and I see a list of files instead of the Redmine’s main page. It

seems Passenger is not working.

My files are like this:

cat /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/passenger.load

LoadModule passenger_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_passenger.so

cat /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/passenger.conf

PassengerDefaultUser www-data

PassengerRoot /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/passenger-3.0.13

PassengerRuby /usr/bin/ruby1.9.1

cat /etc/apache2/sites-available/default

<VirtualHost *:80>

PassengerSpawnMethod smart

PassengerPoolIdleTime 300

RailsFrameworkSpawnerIdleTime 0

PassengerMaxRequests 5000

PassengerStatThrottleRate 5

PassengerMinInstances 3

DocumentRoot /var/www/redmine-2.0.3/public

ServerName cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br/redmine

The “/redmine” bit here may be confusing the issue. It’s definitely not correct, but Apache may ignore the error.

Options FollowSymLinks

AllowOverride None

</Directory>

<Directory /var/www/redmine-2.0.3/>

This should point to the same place as DocumentRoot - it’s currently missing /public.

–Matt Jones

Good morning Matt,

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure if I understood very well what you meant. You said the issue may be caused by the tag Directory that hasn't the same place as DocumentRoot, right? For example, here it would be wrong:

<Directory />                Options FollowSymLinks                AllowOverride None        </Directory>        <Directory /var/www/redmine-2.0.3/>

So, I changed the configuration and now it's like this:

<VirtualHost *:80> DocumentRoot /var/www/redmine-2.0.3/public ServerName cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br/redmine RailsEnv production        <Directory /var/www/redmine-2.0.3/public > # RailsBaseURI /redmine-2.0.3/public # PassengerResolveSymlinksInDocumentRoot on                Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews                AllowOverride None                Order allow,deny                allow from all        </Directory>

</VirtualHost>

Even this way it isn't working. I restarted Apache and it still showing the list of files instead of Redmine's main page. Any other suggestion?

Thanks again.

<VirtualHost *:80> DocumentRoot /var/www/redmine-2.0.3/public ServerName cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br/redmine <= WRONG

That should be hostname and (optionally) port. Have you looked at the Apache httpd documentation?

RailsEnv production        <Directory /var/www/redmine-2.0.3/public > # RailsBaseURI /redmine-2.0.3/public # PassengerResolveSymlinksInDocumentRoot on

Are those lines really commented out?

Even this way it isn't working. I restarted Apache and it still showing the list of files instead of Redmine's main page. Any other suggestion?

Are there any errors in your logs at startup? Can you run apachectl -S without errors?

Hi,

I put redmine.cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br instead of ServerName cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br/redmine but now I'm not able to access redmine.cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br in the browser. The message says that the server was not found.

Those lines are commented out because I don't know if I should put them? Should I take them out or uncomment them? # RailsBaseURI /redmine-2.0.3/public # PassengerResolveSymlinksInDocumentRoot on

Here is the result of the command before I change the file /etc/apache2/sites-available/default: # apache2ctl -S [Tue Jul 17 10:59:44 2012] [warn] module dav_svn_module is already loaded, skipping [Tue Jul 17 10:59:44 2012] [warn] module authz_svn_module is already loaded, skipping VirtualHost configuration: wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers: *:80 is a NameVirtualHost          default server cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:1)          port 80 namevhost cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:1)          port 80 namevhost cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br/svn (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:39)          port 80 namevhost cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br/redmine (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:49) Syntax OK

Here is the result after changing it: # apache2ctl -S [Tue Jul 17 11:10:44 2012] [warn] module dav_svn_module is already loaded, skipping [Tue Jul 17 11:10:44 2012] [warn] module authz_svn_module is already loaded, skipping VirtualHost configuration: wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers: *:80 is a NameVirtualHost          default server cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:1)          port 80 namevhost cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:1)          port 80 namevhost cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br/svn (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:39)          port 80 namevhost redmine.cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:49) Syntax OK

Thanks again.

In the Apache's log:

[Tue Jul 17 11:26:56 2012] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down [Tue Jul 17 11:26:57 2012] [error] *** Passenger could not be initialized because of this error: Unable to start the Phusion Passenger watchdog because its executable (/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/passenger-3.0.13/agents/PassengerWatchdog) does not exist. This probably means that your Phusion Passenger installation is broken or incomplete, or that your 'PassengerRoot' directive is set to the wrong value. Please reinstall Phusion Passenger or fix your 'PassengerRoot' directive, whichever is applicable.

It seems Passenger was not installed correctly. I tried to install Passenger using this command:

sudo passenger-install-apache2-module

It didn't work and appeard this message:

WARNING: Apache doesn't seem to be compiled with the 'prefork', 'worker' or 'event' MPM Phusion Passenger has only been tested on Apache with the 'prefork', the 'worker' and the 'event' MPM. Your Apache installation is compiled with the 'itk' MPM. We recommend you to abort this installer and to recompile Apache with either the 'prefork', the 'worker' or the 'event' MPM.

How to compile Apache with prefork ? Is it hard to do ? May it cause any problem? I'm afraid of doing this because I have some app running on Apache.

Thanks.

In the Apache's log:

[Tue Jul 17 11:26:57 2012] [error] *** Passenger could not be initialized because of this error: Unable to start the Phusion Passenger watchdog because its executable (/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/passenger-3.0.13/agents/PassengerWatchdog) does not exist. This probably means that your Phusion Passenger installation is broken or incomplete, or that your 'PassengerRoot' directive is set to the wrong value. Please reinstall Phusion Passenger or fix your 'PassengerRoot' directive, whichever is applicable.

It seems Passenger was not installed correctly.

You confirmed that the file referenced above doesn't exist? And that your PassengerRoot is correct? Because "not installed correctly" is one of three possibilities there :slight_smile:

How to compile Apache with prefork ? Is it hard to do ? May it cause any problem? I'm afraid of doing this because I have some app running on Apache.

And you have an app that's *not* running. So download the source and take a shot at it; test your applications on your dev/staging server until you're satisfied.

Or forget using Passenger and take the less intrusive (IMO) approach of proxying to a cluster of unicorns or whatever. I prefer that because of the flexibility to test or run with different backend servers, anyway.

HTH,

I got it working following this steps in order to fix the problems was happening:

1 - Install Apache with prefork and passenger again: apt-get -f install apt-get install apache2-mpm-prefork sudo gem install passenger sudo passenger-install-apache2-module

2 - Change the VirtualHost configuration to that: <VirtualHost *:80> ServerName cpro5331.publiccloud.com.br DocumentRoot /var/www/redmine-2.0.3/public RackBaseURI / RailsEnv production         <Directory /var/www/redmine-2.0.3/public >                 Options FollowSymLinks                 AllowOverride None                 Order allow,deny                 Allow from all         </Directory> </VirtualHost>

Now it's ok and running =)

Thank you very much guys. Your tips were essencial for me to got it working. I hope someone may benefit from my solution here.